::Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Come on people, no love for Sgt Pepper today on it's birthday?!?!

Does anyone else think that if John or Paul sang With A Little Help From My Friends, that it would be one of the Beatle's top 10 songs?? Don't get me wrong, I love Ringo, but it's just hard to take his vocals seriously.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:35 am

RickStark79 wrote:Come on people, no love for Sgt Pepper today on it's birthday?!?!

Does anyone else think that if John or Paul sang With A Little Help From My Friends, that it would be one of the Beatle's top 10 songs?? Don't get me wrong, I love Ringo, but it's just hard to take his vocals seriously.

Happy Birthday Sgt Pepper!

I love Ringo's vocal, it's pretty perfect for the song. Ringo has a nice morose quality that really suits that song in particular.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paulo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:43 am

RickStark79 wrote:Come on people, no love for Sgt Pepper today on it's birthday?!?!

Disagree, Rick. I think that song had to be sung by Ringo!
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

Was Sgt Pepper a Paul's album?

Postby Paulo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:51 am

Some very interesting points on Pepper here:

http://www.riprense.com/sgtpepper.htm
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Some thoughts on Pepper, although I know they're not original thoughts! Pepper marked the time when The Beatles ceased being John's band and started to become Paul's band. (The late Ian McDonald makes this point at length in his book "Revolution In The Head")
It isn't that John wrote nothing of consequence before Pepper. Or that Paul wrote nothing great before Pepper. But Paul, from around this time, really was on fire, as John had been in '63/64/65. The gutsy, bluesy, guitary John songs of the A Hard Day's Night era had vanished and were replaced by Paul's eloquent, neo-classical, sometimes Brian Wilson-inspired and often piano-based songs.
The tide was turning in Paul's favour on Revolver. But on Pepper, I think Paul pipped John to the post. I started off, as a kid, loving the early Beatles John-dominated sound. I liked the more rock'n'roll sound. My favourite album s were A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale. Both of these albums contain John's most evocative, driving, strong, gritty songs. I was totally put off Sgt.Pepper. I thought it was twee and lightweight and too music-hall/vaudeville.
Then, in my teen years I loved all of it - the whole of their output. But Pepper, I imagine, must have really divided people back in '67, which, unfortunately is before my time. It really does draw a line under what went before.
jules

Re: :Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:45 am

overrated.

WHere is Ringo's Vertical Man on RS top 500 albums?
wtf?

This one gets #1?

There are better albums than pepper.
And it wasn't like these kinds of "concept" albums hadn't been done before.

the Who did one with a pirate-radio-thingy, and I'm sure are many others
I can't think of at moment.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Re: :Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 am

Thinking just gets me in trouble Laz. :wink:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Re:

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:31 pm

jules wrote:Some thoughts on Pepper, although I know they're not original thoughts! Pepper marked the time when The Beatles ceased being John's band and started to become Paul's band. (The late Ian McDonald makes this point at length in his book "Revolution In The Head")
It isn't that John wrote nothing of consequence before Pepper. Or that Paul wrote nothing great before Pepper. But Paul, from around this time, really was on fire, as John had been in '63/64/65. The gutsy, bluesy, guitary John songs of the A Hard Day's Night era had vanished and were replaced by Paul's eloquent, neo-classical, sometimes Brian Wilson-inspired and often piano-based songs.
The tide was turning in Paul's favour on Revolver. But on Pepper, I think Paul pipped John to the post.

Nicely put Jules. In fact I always thought of Pepper as the point in which Lennon handed McCartney the reigns so to speak and then took a step back!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Re: ::Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Postby RhayaOnTheHill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:53 pm

I love Pepper but it's not my favourite their are better albums it's annoying because people expect it to be everyones favourite it's amazing and I get why it's so popular but it makes alot of other songs be burried in a way don't really know how to explain that I'm not bringing it down at all because I love it but
RhayaOnTheHill

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Albums