Ringo's all-star band

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Ringo's all-star band

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:15 am

The novelty of seeing Ringo was cool when i saw him in 1989. he did his songs and it was lovely. But, i don't think the musical gods had any intention of putting RIngo out on the road for 13 years after that. I guess what i'm saying is that don't you think songs like "It Don't come easy", "Yellow Submarine", and "Act Naturally" have a limited shelf life. Isn't Ringo's All-Star Band tour turning into a bad parody of itself? I think it's Rock N Roll's equivalent of the "Love Boat" where every week or every tour you get to see one washed up star/has-been doing their limited run of one hit or three hit wonders and say their usual bits....I think it's sad that Ringo does this because there is no dignity in playing to smaller and smaller venues....I don't like to see a surviving Beatle acting like Captain Steubing on the love-boat. With Joe Walsh as "Gofer" and Barbara Bach as "Julia"...Puhlease...

Can't somebody give Ringo a subtle hint to stop the madness? He should be traveling or tending garden somewhere. But, i seriously think he's becoming a sad parody of himself singing "Octopus' garden"....It's almost as bad as "The Monkees"...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Brains » Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:52 am

Ringo is not someone to go see for really good music. Yellow Submarine, Honey Don't and Act Naturally aren't exactly good songs. And Ringo isn't the greatest singer alive. But his shows are always fun. And the good music comes from his all star friends: Jack Bruce, Gary Brooker, or whoever is in his band right now.

Don't take Ringo too seriously musically. He doesn't either.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:31 am

Boy, your in some kind of mood today Chris. Leave poor Ringo alone [:)]
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:37 am

[xx(]
I just don't like to see one of the BEatles slip below dignified behavior. I disagree with y'all on this one.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dakota » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:08 pm

Chris, maybe he enjoys doing it 'cause music's in his blood!. Do you think Paul continues to make CDs and tours cause he really needs the money?.
dakota

Postby dsnito » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:08 pm

Fellows, Ringo even himself doesn't take so seriously his own person, as he said once... he always was conscious about his ability as a musician or as a singer/songwriter, we can't forget, and even me, reckon him as a good and efficient but not extrordinary as a drummer.
But he is a good guy and has that fellow-feeling personality that makes him liked by many people... The only thing that could have spoiled his image was his alchoholism that had changed him in another person, telling the truth, alchoholism(beside drug addiction) changes anyone's person when is getting into addiction.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:11 pm

Good points, Nito. If it makes Ringo happy, I don't really care. Nobody really considered him a "serious" musician amongst The Beatles anyway. So it's not like he really has this "image" that he's destroying.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:18 pm

In the early 70's Ringo was a much sought after drummer for sessions, even if it might have been because of where he came from. But check some of the drumming on Stephen Still's shockingly great first solo effort. English Ritchie, as he is credited, does a great job, as i remember. I cant recall how many tracks, but I do remember that it sounded good and I was impressed..maybe I was on mushrooms, i dont know...ARRGGHHH I have to get a turntable soon...I forgot how great that album was....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:27 pm

Yes, Steve. I have that album too (on cd though [:D]), and yes it is a very good effort by Stills. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Ringo is a sucky drummer. In fact, I've said many times on here that Ringo is actually a VERY good drummer. He just DECIDES not to do a lot of flashy stuff. But you can definitely hear his greatness on albums like Abbey Road or like the Stills album.

(PS--If you remember, Hendrix played on a couple tracks on that album too. I think one of Jimi's last studio sessions.)
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:31 pm

Oh right, man...JH was on that album...as was Eric Clapton..I have to give it a listen....and no, man..i didnt take it like that about Ringo...he's very steady with his classic fills and all, but not a power drummer like our ABE!!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to RINGO