Warren Zevon imitates George

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Warren Zevon imitates George

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:01 am

I just read sadly that Warren Zevon has terminal cancer. And he is doing the same thing as George putting himself into the recording studio and rushing to release an album. What a shame that Zevon has cancer.

I really think that somebody should speak up about the evils of smoking. So many great artists leaving us before their time

[V]
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:30 am

In Canada we force the tabaco industry to put pictures of black lungs etc. on every cigarette package.

The taxes from sales are enormous but in Canada where our medical is covererd is costing our health system tons of money too. Now if ever the US get full coverage similar to Ontario in Canada and the millions more in tabaco related illnesses, then and only then will the government finally do more than what they've already done.

Sure it will put a lot of people out of work just like switching to fuel cells or solar will put a lot of oil people out of work but these other technologies are cleaner and people are needed in these industries too.
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:21 pm

Canada is on the right track. Sadly, there are so many special interests here in the US that back tobacco that we will unfortunately continue to sell cancer to little kids and undisciplined adults. America , sadly, is the most unhealthy country on the planet. Seeing George, Linda, Warren Zevon, and even Levon Helm die from cigarette related cancers is a travesty [V]

Linda McCartney died sadly just as she was preaching a strict and healthy vegan diet. I'm not 100% convinced her breast cancer was caused by smoking - but rest assured i bet it had , sadly, a negative impact. Harrison died from smoking and that's beyond sad. He was a three or four pack a day smoker and that will [xx(] take anybody down. Even John Wayne went down from smoking. The Marlboro man even[xx(][:p]

[:(!] As Yul Brenner said in that commercial filmed as he was slowly dying, i beg you please don't smoke.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:22 pm

[}:)] Levon Helm is alive sorry - it's his singing voice that is no longer functioning [^]
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dakota » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:11 pm

I wasn't aware that Linda Mac was a big smoker or even a smoker at all.

I would think that she would of quit when Paul did. By the way, when did Paul quit?...the late 70's. I remember hearing somewhere that he took up jogging in the early 80's . He's seen jogging down a corridor in the movie "GMRTBS". I'm assuming that during his jogging days he was no longer smoking....well at least tabacco.
dakota

Postby jet » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:28 pm

Like Paul, Linda was a pot smoker for a considerable number of years, but I'm not sure she smoked conventional cigarettes. The last time Paul and Linda were busted for Pot was in 1984(I think) so it must have been after then they both stopped smoking. Again I'm really not sure, I hope what I've posted makes sense anyway.
jet

Postby jet » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
I just read sadly that Warren Zevon has terminal cancer. And he is doing the same thing as George putting himself into the recording studio and rushing to release an album. What a shame that Zevon has cancer.
I really think that somebody should speak up about the evils of smoking. So many great artists leaving us before their time
[V]
I used to smoke. One of the reasons I stopped is because of what happened to George. His death left me pretty shaken.
jet

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:26 pm

Good syndicated article in Monday's papers on WZ. I would only hope my atttitude is 10% as good as his is in what he's facing.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:44 pm

Yeah, Steve. I read a qoute from WZ on his illness. He definitely has a great outlook. Something to be admired.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:26 pm

My Dad smoked until his 35 y.o., then stopped smoking and suffered a lot after that. He smoked 3 packets of cigarettes ev'ryday...!!
I was 6 but I cleary remmember the cigarette's smoke hovering in the room...that ever made me sick!!! But I wondered that he could stop, and still lives healthy, thank God he gave up to smoke!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Next

Return to GEORGE