LEnnon the Vicious

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

LEnnon the Vicious

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:47 am

It's cool to celebrate Lennon the great artist. But, like most artists and most geniuses, didn't Lennon once say "Genius is pain", he had some very human flaws. In my view, Lennon the artist was amazing. Lennon the person - vicious, cruel, and almost toxic. The man he sang "All u need is love" was a cruel and despicable family man who showered all of his love on one son and ignore the other one. The kind of guy who when dealing with his best friend (Paul) was a jealous, insecure, swine. Rather than be protective of his friend or even supportive, instead, Lennon the vicious was a cruel and manipulative back-stabber who ran to the press with every single silly and hurtful kernel of half-truths and distorted lies. Celebrate the artist - absolutely. His greatness was beyond reproach. But, curse the man and his contradictions and his ability to be vicious and cruel to the people who was supposed to love. "All u need is love" indeed but be cruel and vicious to your friends and family.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

LEnnon the Vicious

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:47 am

It's cool to celebrate Lennon the great artist. But, like most artists and most geniuses, didn't Lennon once say "Genius is pain", he had some very human flaws. In my view, Lennon the artist was amazing. Lennon the person - vicious, cruel, and almost toxic. The man he sang "All u need is love" was a cruel and despicable family man who showered all of his love on one son and ignore the other one. The kind of guy who when dealing with his best friend (Paul) was a jealous, insecure, swine. Rather than be protective of his friend or even supportive, instead, Lennon the vicious was a cruel and manipulative back-stabber who ran to the press with every single silly and hurtful kernel of half-truths and distorted lies. Celebrate the artist - absolutely. His greatness was beyond reproach. But, curse the man and his contradictions and his ability to be vicious and cruel to the people who was supposed to love. "All u need is love" indeed but be cruel and vicious to your friends and family.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dakota » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:40 pm

Wow!....aren't you being a bit one-sided here?. Everyone has their good and bad qualities, their good and bad days. Also consider that the way celebs are portrayed could be exaggerated.
dakota

Postby Aujouret » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:33 am

I'm a huge Lennon fan and I am very aware of his many faults as well. I think you have raised some very true points as far as John's insecurities and bad characteristics. He had a lot of problems and as George observed he didn't realize how screwed up John really was under after he was gone. John liked to hide the truth a lot, which is strange as he had such a huge reputation for honesty. And BOTH of his sons have said that John was a poor father.
Like the other Beatles, I love the sweet parts of John. Ringo said no one was more loving than John or had a bigger heart. His talent is without question. He was a genius. The walls of my apartment are covered with his photos. I love him. He was very human.
Good and bad.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby dakota » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:26 pm

Aujournet, we're practically neighbors. I currently live in Corona but I've lived in the Anaheim/Orange area practically my entire life...cool eh?.
dakota

Postby dsnito » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:49 pm

Well, all I can say about John is that he wasn´t a saint[:)] neither a damned devil[}:)]... he was just... a HUMAN!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Aujouret » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:58 pm

quote:Originally posted by dakota
Aujournet, we're practically neighbors. I currently live in Corona but I've lived in the Anaheim/Orange area practically my entire life...cool eh?.

Yeah, cool. I lived in Corona for a brief time. I hear it's grown since then. Lots of new housing. You must know Pepperland in Orange. Whenever I can manage to get a few bucks together I love to go there. Are you going to see Paul in Anaheim October 25? I did Staples and the Pond in May, but can only afford one concert this time and I am going with ETS again. I got good seats with them last time.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby dakota » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:24 pm

Corona is getting like an extension of O.C..

Pepperland Records on Tustin Ave....yes..I go there at least once every two months to buy the lastest issue of "Beatlefan" magazine and to talk Beatle talk with the owner Mike......Mike is a cool guy....a very knowledgeable Beatle fan....and by the way my music partner and I will most likely be appearing there to play acoustic music.....we play around 7 or 8 beatles songs....when it happens I will let you know.

Yes....My wife and I are going to to see Paul (despite the high ticket prices) that Saturday Oct 25th and our seats are slightly better than in May.

What is your alma mater?
dakota

Postby scrodfish256 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:51 pm

Lennon was a freakshow. I didn't realize it until I got into the beatles more. When I think of john, I prefer to think of the "early beatles" john. I was never a big lennon fan, but he did do some descent post beatles music.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr. kite » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:49 am

How true are the "truths" that we hear and read about Lennon as an artist and as a father? Can't we just enjoy his music? Anyway, it's his being an artist that seems to just make sense.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to JOHN