Pink Floyd Inspired by the Beatles

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Pink Floyd Inspired by the Beatles

Postby akweaver » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:10 am

Biography

Pink Floyd is the premier space rock band. Since the mid-'60s, their music relentlessly tinkered with electronics and all manner of special effects to push pop formats to their outer limits. At the same time they wrestled with lyrical themes and concepts of such massive scale that their music has taken on almost classical, operatic quality, in both sound and words. Despite their astral image, the group was brought down to earth in the 1980s by decidedly mundane power struggles over leadership and, ultimately, ownership of the band's very name.

Artist Information
Genres: Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, British Invasion, Psychedelic, Album Rock, British Psychedelia, Mixed Media
Active: 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's
Formed: 1965 in London, England

Influences
The Beatles, Sun Ra, William S. Burroughs, Bob Dylan

Similar Artists
Yes, Queen, King Crimson, Tomorrow, Family, Caravan, The Who, Soft Machine, Renaissance, The Alan Parsons Project, The Move, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Hawkwind, Roxy Music, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Gentle Giant, Camel

Followers
Chroma Key, The Olivia Tremor Control, Rain Parade, Roxy Music, Coffee Sergeants, Simply Saucer, Alquin, Tom Constanten, Uriah Heep, The Soft Boys, Rush, Queensr├┐che, The Orb, It Bites, Robyn Hitchcock, Genesis, The Fall, Enigma, The Dukes of Stratosphear

akweaver
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:35 pm

Similar Artists
Yes, Queen, King Crimson, Tomorrow, Family, Caravan, The Who, Soft Machine, Renaissance, The Alan Parsons Project, The Move, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Hawkwind, Roxy Music, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Gentle Giant, Camel

Interesting. Who wrote this Bio?....because I don't see the similarities in most of those bands. :?
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby noemie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:46 am

near than everything in modern music have a few inspiration that is coming from the fab 4!
noemie

Postby chris » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:47 pm

maybe the alan parson's project was close. he (AP) used to bring the beatles tea during the making of abbey road. and he had something to do with producing dark side by the floyd. he had obvious influences that showed up in his music.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby akweaver » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:22 pm

I don't see the similarities in most of those bands.

With what eyes are you looking with MACCA friend? They are all rock-n-roll connected at the dots.
akweaver
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby number9 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:11 pm

How could any band from the 60's-70's not be influenced by the Beatles? I think you can see the Beatles influence based on Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road. Here's a few observations:
1. The entirely avant-garde album Ummagumma
2. Roger Waters considers Lennon the greatest rock lyricist ever and a tremendous influence.
3. On DSOTM Paul and Linda were invited to provide answers to scripted questions that were used throughout the album. Turns out they did not use any Macca answers, but at least they were invited.
4. On David Gimour's solo album About Face, the song Murder is directed at Mark Chapman
5. Gilmour plays guitar on No More Lonely Nights.
number9

Postby akweaver » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:40 pm

At the same time they wrestled with lyrical themes and concepts of such massive scale that their music has taken on almost classical, operatic quality, in both sound and words

"Almost classical, operatic quality" brings Rock-n-Roll to another whole level. Not to insist they are the first, more at recognition of most excellent work!
akweaver
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re:

Postby ProgRocker » Sun May 11, 2008 9:42 pm

2 of 3 wrote:
Similar Artists

Interesting. Who wrote this Bio?....because I don't see the similarities in most of those bands. :?

I think they're only compared because they're mostly all progressive rock bands.

"If music be the food of love; play on." - William Shakespeare
ProgRocker

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions