Reality TV do you like it?

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:14 am

When there isn't one single reality show being televised,and CSI producers widdle three shows into one, is when t.v. will again become entertaining again. I don't know if it's a lack of writing talent or studios and producers have a lack of respect for audience intelligence.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Is that sarcasm? There's plenty good TV out there! Battlestar Galactica, Scrubs and Family Guy are three that pop to mind. Doctor Who and Torchwood are two good uns that have not long finished or restarting in a few months. That Heroes show looks good, not bothered to download it yet but it starts here in a couple weeks so I'll probably wait for it. My Name Is Earl had a great first series, though I haven't checked out any of the second yet. Terry Jones is doing one or two more history shows. A second series of Planet Earth by David Attenborough just finished over here which was simply stunning, the best view that has been given of our planet yet. I'm sure there are others I've forgot to mention or not heard off.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:58 pm

Highamster wrote:Is that sarcasm?

Nope T.V. pretty much blows. Yes their is still some good stuff out there but "IMO" a person really has to sift through the garbage to find a gem.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

just my opinion, of course...but reality tv is the continuation of the downfall of western civilization. nothing but mindless drivel. and the real pain in the ass of it...its sooo damn successful.

the television producers don't have to pay script writers. they don't have to set up a set to film on. and, for all of you average looking people out there...good news, you'll never be on one of these shows, because they are only for the good looking.

i never thought i would yearn nostalgically for the days when i would miss the mindless sitcom.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 am

chris wrote:just my opinion, of course...but reality tv is the continuation of the downfall of western civilization. nothing but mindless drivel. and the real pain in the ass of it...its sooo damn successful.

the television producers don't have to pay script writers. they don't have to set up a set to film on. and, for all of you average looking people out there...good news, you'll never be on one of these shows, because they are only for the good looking.

i never thought i would yearn nostalgically for the days when i would miss the mindless sitcom.

You're so very right.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:36 am

...i simply cannot believe i am going to say this...
but...laz has an interesting idea...
for the last few years, the CBS network has aired that INXS/Rockstar Supernova show...
what if ringo did THAT...and he held a talent bout, looking for artists of the caliber he has already used..and formed the new band on a show...since he uses manly names, and talents from past groups and/or solo artists, it'd be a realy neat chance to showcase, not some young, undeserving turks..but, some great and good artists who've already informed our past...?

,,,any members of his previous troup he kept on could be the other judges....

tv, in general, is no worse now than it ever has been..(the same can be said for movies, radio, books, etc: almost ALL entertainment) there are just as many good to great shows as there are crappy to awful ones...reality tv is no different...sure, we could all be better informed and entertained...but, in the end, most of this stuff is based on supply and demand, and most of us simply do not demand higher brow stuff, despite all our rantings...we love and dwell upon the crap....if the more informative stuff was what we really wanted, PBS, discovery channel, history channel...all those would have ratings far higher than anything else...

you KNOW it to be true...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:21 pm

it pains me to agree with you, oh angry one. while i can be, and often am thouroughly entertained by the likes of the learning channel, the science channel, national geographic, history and even shows like 60 minutes and the likes, most americans are not interested in learning anything while sitting in front of the boob tube. mindless entertainment is what the masses want, and it is what the networks are giving us. perhaps i don't have to like it. but i wont go away quietly. sorry to say, either will these shows, i'm afraid.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:51 am

quietly should NOT be in our vocab, big C....agreed on all points, but, highmaster had some very good points, as well...there are some very well made, thought provoking, and intelligently written shows out there.

if you can just catch 'em before they are cancelled....oh well...there'll always be that final dvd set, with unaired episodes...

or...a good book...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby stylegurrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:27 am

Most of it is tacky and filled with people desperate to be famous. The only reality type show I can stand is The First 48 which follows detectives during the first 48 hours of a murder investigation. It can be sad but it is a real eye-opener.
stylegurrl

Postby Highamster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:05 am

That sounds interesting, I'll have to track it down someday.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to Movies & TV