::LOVE

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby supermd4589 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Blueraspberry wrote:
james1985 wrote:Octopus' Garden - great start with the strings. Love the way they have "Subbed" it up. Anyone know where John's "sensational" comes from?

If you listen closely to the fill between Polythene Pam and Bathroom Window you can hear John ad-libbing throughout - "Fab. Real good lads, etc. The vocals on Love are what remains when you take away all the guitars and drums at the end of Pam.

This is awesome, but how do you know this?
supermd4589

Surround is excellent

Postby Dan Bieman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:02 pm

When I heard about this project i was unsure, why mess with an already excellent product. BUT with George Martin and his son at the controls, I knew it would be a creative masterpiece. I first listened to Love in 5.1 surround, I was amazed what I was hearing coming from different speakers. It's fun picking out the pieces and identifying which song it's from. If your still unsure about this project listen in Surround.
Dan Bieman

Postby amazedbypaul » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:21 pm

For those of you that have never had the pleasure of seeing a Cirque de Soleill show I hope that one day you get the chance. I saw one about five years ago in Vegas and it was truly an amazing experience I will never forget. From the costumes to the lighting and jaw dropping athleticism and acrobatics it is nothing you have ever seen before. It is also a fantasy experience. So yesterday I finally got to hear "Love" for the first time. First I have to say is the sound is just phenominal. Then in my mind I'm just cruising to work listening to this in my car which has a darn good stereo system and I'm imagining what it must be like to listen and watch this show at the same time. From what I have been told from a friend who saw Love a few months ago there are individual speakers on each side of your seat so you get all of the surround sound of the highest quality. I am not as articulate as Paperback Writer or Angry but I will do my best to describe my take on the new release.All I can say is that I had tears in my eyes sitting at a red light wishing I had waited till I got home to listen to this incredible CD. It lets your mind wander and really does take you to another place if you let it. You probably will have to listen to it at least ten times before you even get close to figuring out half of the mixes. I especially love the fact that this whole project was conceived by George Harrison and Guy Laliberte the founder of Cirque de Soleill.I think Sir George Martin,Paul,Ringo,Yoko,Olivia Harrison did a heck of a job carrying on with this project. I think GH would have been very proud and I think John would have also definetly approved.What a gift us Beatle fans have been given again.I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.
amazedbypaul
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:13 am

Do you think that LOVE will filmed and released on DVD?? I hope so.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 am

With regards to the show: I'm not sure if people dancing around has anything to do with Beatle music. For me, the poject is all about the album.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby amazedbypaul » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:24 pm

EddieV wrote:Do you think that LOVE will filmed and released on DVD?? I hope so.

I think it will be eventually and I look forward to it. The show is much more than just dancing it's a psychedelic world, a real trip for the eyes from what I've read. The bonus is it's done to the best music in the world.
amazedbypaul
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:18 pm

james1985 wrote:With regards to the show: I'm not sure if people dancing around has anything to do with Beatle music. For me, the poject is all about the album.

Me too...just not my cup of tea.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby anthurium » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 am

LOVE is a good album!!!
anthurium

'Love': a pointless release.

Postby stewy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:03 am

I've spent a good deal of my life in recording studios,
managed bands and presented stuff on radio.
I'm currently remastering a lot of music at home
using Cool Edit (some of you may know this as Adobe Audition).
Using this or any of the other toys (Soundforge, Garageband or even ProTools if you can afford it), if we ALL had access to the Fabs multitrack masters and a few weeks to do it in, then I think a lot of us would be able to do a much better job than George & Giles Martin have on 'Love,' if only by including some unreleased material alongside the famous stuff.

For me, this is a massively pointless release.

Seems to me that they felt they had to put it out because it was the soundtrack to the bloated, pretentious, bland dance event in the U.S.
And of course, more cash could be squeezed out of EMI's biggest earner one more time.
I was given the CD by someone for Christmas (I hadn't asked for it!!) and of course gave it a listen, five or six listens actually just in case my first impressions might be somewhat hasty.
But no.
I was right the first time: although the EQ etc might be very crisp, and you get a few spoken snippets, we have ALL ALREADY GOT THIS MUSIC.
And I HATED hearing the riffs and vocals stuck beside/over/under others.
One of the reasons the Fabs albums have lasted so long with the legend and quality control untouched by awful outside hands is that Apple have kept the material away from the nasty people (advertisers, compilers, remixers etc).
Perhaps this is now about to change...
And anyway, this has been done before you know; The Residents (obscure, bizarre American avant-garde act) included a track called 'Beyond The Valley Of A Day In The Life' on one of thier albums (1978 I think) which is a mini-version of 'Love', and done much better.

The fact that George, Paul, Ringo, and Yoko approved of 'Love' perhaps says a lot about wanting to keep the process of immortalisation going.

But they don't NEED to - the music has ALWAYS been immortal.

Here's what thier engineer on so many of thier classic albums, Geoff Emerick, said recently in an interview:

Netscape: How about the recently released 'Love'?
Any thoughts on the mix-and-match approach to the Beatles catalog?

Emerick: I won't listen to it.

Netscape: Not a single note?

Emerick: People have told me about it.
Look, the four artists were present when we did the mono mixes of the original records.
And the recordings were fresh in our minds when we did the stereo mixes:
even if the Beatles weren't present, they were involved.
It's their record--and now it's been messed around with.

Netscape: So you can live without the mash-ups and recombinant mixes.

Emerick: The original records are iconic, they're pieces of art.
Would you go and repaint the Sistine Chapel?
You don't.
Just leave it alone.

Why don't they release more relevant things instead, such as 'Let It Be' on DVD with extra footage;
ALL the 'Get Back' jamming etc as a six-disc box set; the Christmas Fan Club Flexis as a CD;
and I have over twenty tracks that weren't even
issued on the 'Anthology' CDs (with tracks such as 'Sour Milk Sea', 'Carnival Of Light', 'Circles' and early acetates).
If EMI don't have these then the remaining Fabs
must have, or could pay to get them.

'Love' is a dreadful idea and realisation.
In my opinion.
I sold my copy!
I've been a Macca fan since 1965, and I'm 48 now...so it's been a long time.
He's a Mozartian genius. Wings singles like
'Hi Hi Hi', 'Junior's Farm' & 'Helen Wheels' are immortal, killer rockers...
napalm glam with melody!
stewy

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums