Macca on "Idol"?

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Macca on "Idol"?

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:13 am

I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:40 am

I think you're 2 years too late. And I don't think A.I. does that anymore with guest judges.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 am

I've been informed that this past Tuesday on EXTRA, Simon Cowell was saying there are no clear front runners this time, and thatthat Rod Stewart shook things up last time, that Paul McCartney could shake things up with this Idol group!

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9htfMAAe6dFJ ... 168690304/

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/liv ... ews_living

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/0 ... 70b642.txt

It's a stunt by AI to generate press and it again worked, however this year, MACCA Central did not fall for it and will not post these rumors in MACCA News until they can be substantiated into facts. I thought about doing an editorial of the topic of this thread right in MACCA News but alas, we can vent here :)

For what, 3 or 4 years, the same thing comes out just before the season starts. Maybe this year he will but Paul is on record against these assembly line, cookie cutting, manufacturer so-called idols. They are idols cuz views are told they are. It's sad to see how this show thrives on humiliating obviously people with no talent or freakish looking, but with huge dreams. It's sad the people enjoy watching other people's dreams get shattered on national tv. What's it going to take, some ex-contestant going postal. To those who aren't familiar with the term "postal", it means going on a shooting spree at your former workplace.

There are some crazy people out there with mixed up dreams and one of them killed John Lennon, another tried to kill George Harrison. I don't think Paul would stoop down to that level and ignore all the humiliation the show is built on, just to ride the wave of AI's popularity.

I just noticed the link Genuine_Indian_Guru provided was actually a link to a 2004 story. Didn't know if he did that on purpose to fool us or what :) There are headlines this week saying the same thing, Simon hinting they are trying to get McCartney. The only way I think Paul would do anything with AI if they would eliminate the humiliation scenes, (which will never happen) and AI become a regular finaicial contributor to LIPA, which also will never happen. Paul has invested a great deal of his time and money into LIPA and he isn't going to throw that away just to get exposure on a highly rated TV the he apparently deplores.

Paul has personaly experienced what it is like to be told what to do, what to sing, how to dress etc. in the very early Beatle years. The Beatles fought hard to break the mold. They would record their own songs or not record and they get little credit to this day on that. This reason alone in my view is why Paul won't endorse AI by appearing like Paul Anka or Rod Stewart, or Prince did. Paul can get all the TV exposure he wants at really, anytime by simply saying, ok, I'm available, who wants me ? BBC, ABC, VH-1, any network will put him on for an hour or two. He doesn't have to do AI to get a few minutes of fact time on TV. But that's just my opinion.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:51 am

Actually Mike I hadn't noticed that the article in which I had posted was 2 years old. So egg on my face. However I had read several recent articles regarding the same issue. The first Article mentioned Paul and Mariah Carey for this years Idol. I just so happen to pick an article at random to show the forum. Unfortunatly I picked the one from Contact Music.

My mistike...I did know however that these were fresh rumours.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 pm

If he was going to be on the show as judge my thoughts of Paul would be very low
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:01 pm

EddieV wrote:If he was going to be on the show as judge my thoughts of Paul would be very low

He wouldn't be a weely judge on the show. He would be a guest star on one week. Paul and the contestant would meet and choose one of his songs to sing during that week's show (probably a solo choice). Paul would appear with the judges during that show and critique the contestants on how they performed his song.

I think it would be a great idea. It's great exposure to a younger generation of fans who may not be familiar with Paul's work.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Agreed

Postby jgkojak » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:37 pm

I think it would be a great idea. It's great exposure to a younger generation of fans who may not be familiar with Paul's work

Agreed--

I would love to see 12 "idols" take on solo Macca selections- I also think Macca would bring a sense of positivity- he would be generous in his praise of each performer, etc.

They won't allow Idol to use Beatle songs- which is a mistake IMHO- the best music of the past 50 years should be represented, despite how much we may detest the format of the show.

And... for sake of argument... after the first season, anyone who auditions for AI should know precisely what they are getting into- so no sympathy there.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:53 pm

I hate seeing people cover Beatles on these shows, they make it so cheesy. Trying to turn Let It Be into a Mariah Carey song, putting in all this fake emotion. Macca would be well advised to steer clear of Mr Cowell's little show.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Cowell just said he'd rather listen to an Idol winner than Bob Dylan. You gotta admit, the guys a goof, but he sure can market himself and his shows. :)
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:34 pm

This is another example of stretching facts for hype. This article just came out today from contactmusic.com.

SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY and his estranged wife HEATHER MILLS are reportedly set to appear on rival reality TV shows in the US. The former BEATLE is said to have been asked to be a judge on AMERICAN IDOL, while Mills hopes to take part in DANCING WITH THE STARS - the US version of Britain's STRICTLY COME DANCING. It is thought the couple, who sensationally separated in June (06) after four years of marriage, are angling for public support in the wake of their bitter split. McCartney has not yet decided if he will take part in American Idol, despite a rumoured offer of $360,000 (GBP200,000) for just 90 minutes' work. A friend tells British newspaper The News Of The World, "It would put him back on the box in the US."

Now Paul doesn't need the money and if he did he can get a lot more than that playing a special one-night gig. Sure it would be a lot more work then sitting in a chair. Then they try to get the reader to believe Paul is angling for public support. The if he can do it, I can do it. Or if she can do it, I can do it. Rubbish, the whole bit.
Mike

Next

Return to Movies & TV