The Lennon Anthology

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

The Lennon Anthology

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:07 am

I got this a few years back, and I'm embarrassed to say, I've only skipped around on it a few times after the first listening. There is some hilarious stuff on here and many rarities, but I always come away thinking that I WISH MACCA WOULD DO THE SAME!, and I put it away.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. kite » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:54 am

Well there's no reason why you won't like this anthology especially if you're a Beatles fan. A Beatles fan will always be enthralled by any anthology album that will be released by any of the Beatles. Although Ringo's will definitely be more challenging to produce. It's a must have for every Beatles fan, of course, more for Lennon's. The album is full of outtakes and mostly home recordings. This is Lennon at his simplest sense, bare and soulful.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dakota » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:02 pm

The outtake version of "Losin You" w/ Cheap Trick backing is awesome.
Having that version in your collection alone is almost worth buying the CD.

Come to think of it. I don't have the Anthology CD, but instead I have the "highlight" version called "Onceuponatime" or something of that title.
dakota

Postby mr. kite » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:58 pm

Yeah, Dakota, it's called "wonsopanataym" (something like that, misspelled). I have the box set and you should get one because it has 4 cds with almost 90 songs and 1 special album with pictures and liner notes. Definitely, the jamming with Cheap Trick is a collector's item. I like the home version of Woman wherein he's accompanied by his guitar and a drum machine only. Paul must do something like this too.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:03 am

quote:Originally posted by mr. kite
Paul must do something like this too.
Absolutely, Mr Kite! I'm hoping that he will some day.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:15 am

I'll have to have a proper listen to the Anthology soon. Man--I'm starting to sound like Liam. LOL
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. kite » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:14 am

That's ok, Steve. I know Liam wouldn't mind it.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:56 am

Although I think it's nice to have this "Anthology" and I do enjoy the out takes, I have many complaints about it.
Why the same "Anthology" name? Can't anyone think of a different name?
Jeez. Why the same old photographs reissued a million times already? John has had many photos taken- why not any new ones that the fans haven't seen? Why not issue some of the music from the "Lost Lennon tapes" series? There is lots of unreleased music there.
Why in the "book" does Yoko tell endless stories of how John and everyone else in the universe hurt her? John could be a right bastard, true, but she chose to stay with him, even if she had already emotionally abandoned him before his murder.
Why the continuous bits of John talking and mentioning Yoko by name?
Over and over. I get that he was so dependent on her anyway, why keep drilling it in?
Sorry, I am just discusted with the same old repackaging. Anyway,
there are some real gems on that package; Mucho Mungo, God Save Oz and Long Lost John are fun. I also like the sad, wistful "It's Real", the closing track. A very pretty whistled tune. That Lennon. He gets me everytime.
I expect when funds are running low, that we will once again be getting another and still another of these "anthologies". How about calling the next one Same old photos, Same out Takes. I guess when Yoko dies, then Sean will be doing them. I hope that Sean is a little bit more creative and original. (Just don't put any bloody jazz on it, Sean. Dad would roll over in his grave).
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Brains » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:00 am

I saw that in Yoko's liner notes in Wonsaponatime there is no mentioning at all of the Beatles. Not even in the 'thank you's in the end. I think Paul, George and Ringo were MUCH more important for John's musical career than Yoko ever was.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:07 am

quote:Originally posted by Brains
I think Paul, George and Ringo were MUCH more important for John's musical career than Yoko ever was.
And that is the understatement of the year, Brains. Agreed.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to JOHN