children of men

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

children of men

Postby ANGRY » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:38 am

saw the most amazing movie i have laid eyes on in quite a long time, ....

children of men....

with a small cast of well known faces, director cuoron (?) has fashioned a near masterpiece from the pd james novel...this is how adaptions should be done: not junk like 'i, robot' , 'running man' (that could've been an extraordinary tale, told in better hands !) and too many others...

this bleak, yet uplifting film, was instantly transporting, taking my wife and i on a journey to places we'd never seen ..experiencing thoughts and feelings ( FROM A FILM !! ) like no other film has accomplished for some time...

a truly intelligent film...

i cannot recommend it too highly...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:35 am

Yes, I heard it was fantastic....I also heard Michael Caine was very very good....I must go see it.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:57 am

this is one the most entertaining and emotionally complete performances caine has done in quite awhile...
imho...he achieves a level of astonishment, from my point of view : his role is small, but, somewhat pivotal..he's brings a nice, moral balance to the rather grim tale...and, considering some of actions, that is saying alot...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:32 pm

I went and seen it last night...Caine was great and the film was certainly worth the price of admission; and even a bag of popcorn!
A very good film.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:36 pm

I really haven't seen a Michael Caine movie I didn't like. He sure picks goods scripts. This movie sounds like a good one, a rare thing coming out of Hollywood these days.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48 pm

this is true...I believe that this film is British..however I could be wrong.
Good flick non the less
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:34 am

it is a british made film: the director, however is from, i believe mexico, or south america...he did the last Harry Potter film among others...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Re: children of men

Postby chris » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:10 pm

seems there has been several latino directors making worthy movies of late.

children of men was, indeed, a special movie.

so was babel, every bit worthy of an oscar nod for best movie.

and pan's labyrinth...this just may have been the best of the bunch. as fine looking as anything since lord of the rings, maybe better looking. its a fairy tale for adults (sort of).

its a shame more movies don't challenge the viewer for expecting a well told story. i realize that well told stories don't make gobs of money anymore, but i refuse to give up on them. wait long enough, you will be entertained. recent movies that have wowed me were...little miss sunshine, sideways (paul giamatti is this countries most under-rated actor), the departed...

don't get me wrong, a little mindless entertainment is good too. i will watch just about any spooker put on film. i've seen a bunch of them recently too. most of them are crap. but, do i turn the channel? hell no.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: children of men

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 pm

much to my great sadness...'Pan's L.' is THE one movie from last year, that i've been wishing to see badly...but haven't...loved Del Toros' previous two from this...er...'trilogy'.... 'Cronos" and "The Devils' Backbone"........glad to hear it is, apparently, a good one...

.it's been on dvd for a while now.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Return to Movies & TV