Original Planet of the Apes

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Original Planet of the Apes

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:43 pm

I watched the original Planet of the Apes last night. "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

My 10 year old has never seen it, and I remember seeing this movie at the local theatre when I was just 10 when it came out. Very, very scary movie for me as a 10 year old.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Ah yes, the Heston Sci-Fi Trilogy. My 3 favourite SF movies are Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, and Soylent Green.

I must say I'm a little worried that the last 2 might come true though. :?
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:49 pm

I like Planet Of The Apes: The Musical starring Troy Maclure :lol:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:41 pm

planet of the apes scared the crap out of me when i was a kid.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Big wide screen, in the corn fields, the loud music when the apes started after the humans. Geez, I may have pissed my pants, can't remember. It was terrifying

Life and terror on the screen was much simplier then wasn't it. Now they have to show so much blood and limbs and flesh flying off everywhere. Nothing is left to the imagination. Hollywood just keeps trying to push the envelope to see how much skin and guts then can sneak in the rating. Look at primetime TV like CSI, it's like TV for morons. You don't have to imagine nothing, they show you it all, da. I do prefer the good old days as far as on-screen goes. Actors actually had to act there way out of scene instead of showing some jiggling boobs. Don't get me wrong I'm not against jiggling boobs, in fact, I like to be against jiggling boobs :) Just prefer the acting and photography of the older films much better.
Mike

Postby ANGRY » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 am

the original POTA is one of my all-time favorite films. i have a special place in my heart, not only for it, but each of it's prodgeny...even the lowly TV versions...never was scared by it, but i was enthralled at the audacity of the idea...a planet, where things went so haywire that the apes ruled and man was an animal !?!
and, as junky as they got to be, they offered quite a bit of social commentary for crappy little sci-fi films...though, the only qualifiably good one is the first, the rest have a sort of kitschy fun about them

i still have my entire POTA comic book set, from when i was a wee lad, how geeky is that ?

i'll, mostly, agree with mike on todays films and shows...but, for every CSI, or whatever that goes over the top...there are almost as many good shows that require you to think, and use your imagination.
TV and movies have always been like this, they always will be. until we, as a whole, become smarter, they just play to the common denominator...which isn't always that high.

some of these junk films and shows can be kinda fun, though...if you approach them with the right attitude.
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:42 am

I agree, I'm not labeling all today's films just mostly the horror type films. I do like the Airplane type ones, where the humor is so over the board, it's stupid. SCTV fan from day one. I know the movies like Spy Hard, Date Movie, Scary Movie etc are just plain stupid, they are hilarious to watch. That stupid puppet movie Team America, who don't they take a shot at ? I'm in tears laughing every time I see it. They mock the left, the right, the terrorists, and they blow up everything. If you haven't seen it, give it a go but I warn you about the love scene. Yes, the love scene.

Comedies are my favs but I do like a good well made thriller. Spy thrillers particularly but a well made movie is enjoyable no matter the topic.
Last edited by Mike on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:16 pm

james1985 wrote:I like Planet Of The Apes: The Musical starring Troy Maclure :lol:

Dr Sayus Dr. Sayus!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Mike wrote: some jiggling boobs

way to go...you just described pretty much your entire audience here.

thank you very much everybody...i'll be here all week :D

and i'm glad i'm not the only one who hates what has turned into modern tv shows. reality tv, yuch...give me the good old days when there were only three networks to choose from...cbs, abc and nbc. just because i have 280 channels to choose from on direct tv, doesn't usually mean that more than 5 or 6 are showing quality programmimg
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:01 am

agreed...almost wholeheartedly...but then, every once in a while, one of those cable nets sneak up and give me the shivers at how good tv can be... i NEVER thought i'd like anything called Battlestar Galactica...but, the new series, on Sci-Fi ( i do not have cable, will not subscribe) is very definately an awesome show. and they are showing Doctor Who (junky, yet classy, at the same time !)...can't be all bad...gues it is like everything else in life, you have to pick the weeds out to get a garden

back to the tpoic, of sorts...did anyone see..and/or like the remake/re-imagining by burton...and, if you did, what the heck was that ending...???

i have my own pet idea...but, i'm wondering if anyone has a clue...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Return to Movies & TV