::LOVE

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:43 am

How could I have expected any less(or more?) from another Beatles release after the farce that was "Let It Be... Naked"... I couldn't even sit through the Album the afternoon I bought it and put it on. "Love" by "The Beatles" ... Stay away!

- Excerpt from blogg

:puker :idea: :pukel that's what i think of Love(the light is Love)
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EwaldK » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:54 am

I hope they re-release all orginal albums very soon, it has become a terrible listen after hearing Love.
As I already mentioned I'm not terribly enthousiastic about Love, but if I may consider it as a preview of things to come, I can live with it :wink:
EwaldK

Postby Paperback Writer » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:17 am

:bounce
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:33 pm

How is LOVE doing in the charts??

Try and vist thebeatles.com, screensaver, wallpaper and a lot other thing are available for free.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:17 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:(the light is Love)

It can't be that bad then :lol: Some enlightenment comes handy every now and then...
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:11 am

Time for a full review -- track by track!! ;-)

BECAUSE -- I don't think this song really starts off the album (or the show I would imagine) in the correct manner. It's a little too bland. I wouldn't mind them using this song as the opener if they had did a little more with it. I think I would've faded some instrumental bits of different Beatle songs in and out underneath the vocal track. Maybe you have to see the show to understand this song's inclusion as the lead-off track, but I generally skip it and move right into Track 2. 5 out of 10

GET BACK -- This song is the correct way to start off Love! The opening chord from A Hard Day's Night, the drum solo from The End building into Get Back!!! Incredible sound!!! You hear so many bits and pieces going on below the main track, it makes you listen very intently!! 10 out of 10

GLASS ONION -- Great transition into this song! I feel like they could've pushed the envelope on this one a bit more though! There are so many great references to other songs in Glass Onion, that I would've really liked if they were included in this mix as well. They throw the "Nothing Is Real" and "Fixing A Hole in the ocean" lines in there, which are key. But they should've thrown the "Lady Madonna trying to make ends meet", "I told you about Strawberry Fields", "I told you bout the Fool On The Hill" and "The Walrus was Paul" lines in there too. This is the only song on Love, that after it's over, I thought "Oh man, that's it?!?" It's good, but it could've been great. 8 out of 10

ELEANOR RIGBY -- Great strings only intro! I bet this part of the show is amazing! The song itself remains pretty true to the original. The vocals jump out quite a bit more than the previous Revolver mix though. Very nice! 9 out of 10!! The guitar from Julia mixed with backwards noises and sound effects is a wonderful transition into...

I AM THE WALRUS -- I've listened to this song about 15 times since I bought the album. It gives me chills everytime. I read somewhere that this is the first true stereo mix of the song. Listen to this version back to back with the old version and you will be blown away. This is now the definitive version of the song. A perfect 10 out of 10!!!

I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND -- One of those songs that doesn't perfectly fit with the style of Love, but it's inclusion is obviously a must. Putting the crowd noise behind it gives it a nice touch. Shortened, but virtually unchanged otherwise. 9 out of 10!!

DRIVE MY CAR/WHAT YOU'RE DOING/THE WORD -- Good stuff here!! Lots of stuff going in this song -- drums, then vocals from What You're Doing, horns from Savoy Truffle, etc. I heard it about 5 times before I realized that the guitar solo is mostly that from Taxman! It fits together seemlessly with Drive My Car's solo! I'm pretty sure that What You're Doing would have no place in this show if it didn't mash together with Drive My Car so well. Who cares, it's 100% pure fun! One of my favorite tracks on the album! 10 out of 10!

GNUK NIS -- Vocals from Sun King backwards! Probably doesn't need to be a seperate track -- could've been tacked onto the end of Drive My Car and used as a transition, but it's still cool.

SOMETHING -- I really like how the first 5 seconds of this song doesn't have the drum track on it. The thing that always gets lost in this song is the string arrangement, and the first 5 seconds without the drum track really gives it a nice feel. Every time I hear that, I wish that we could hear more of it without the drums -- maybe up until the "You're asking me will my love grow?" part kicks in. It's beautiful as it is though. 9 out of 10!

BEING FOR THE BENEFIT OF MR. KITE -- Is there any other song that we knew was going to be included in this project more than this song!? The orchestral parts really swirl around in the headphones, can't wait to hear this in 5.1! Just when you think this song is staying true to the original, the I Want You (She's So Heavy) party kicks in! Unbelievable!! The powerful vocals from Helter Skelter scattered over the heavy guitars and swirling orchestration is really one of the highlights of the album! 10 out of 10!!

HELP! -- I don't really like this song's placement in this spot on the album. The previous song ends so abruptly, I think the song in this spot should've had more of a quiet buildup. I would've put Yesterday in this position. The sound of wind fading into the acoustic guitar would've been the way to go for me. This version of Help is unchanged. Not my favorite! 7 out of 10!

BLACKBIRD/YESTERDAY -- Pretty cool how the guitar parts of the two songs go together. Unfortunately, the beginning of the song is the highlight. I would've really liked to hear this song without the acoustic guitar -- just the strings. In this form, I'm not overly thrilled with it's inclusion in/on Love. Seems like one of those songs that is so "Beatles" that they were forced to put it in. It's just OK. 6 out of 10

STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER -- This version of Strawberry Fields does more to explain the evolution of this song in 4 minutes than the Anthology video does in 10 hours! Amazing track!! Anyone who has heard all the different takes of this song knows how many incredible incarnations there are of this song! This version gets them all!! Simply breathtaking!! 10 out of 10!! The outro is incredible!! Horns and sound effects from Sgt. Peppers, the piano solo from In My Life, the horns from Penny Lane, instrumental from Piggies, vocals from Hello Goodbye!! I would've loved to get more of this!!

TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS/WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU -- Very cool!!! The original version of WYWY is one of my least favorite Beatle songs! But this version with the TNK drum track improves it 1000 percent in my eyes! Simply awesome!! Good job Martins!! 10 out of 10!!

LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS -- This version stays very true to the original. The only real difference is the little middle eastern Yoko-style screech that appears during the chorus. That gets old very fast and becomes almost annoying after a while. 7 out of 10. I love the Good Night transition! The string arrangement on that song is so beautiful and often overlooked!!

OCTOPUS'S GARDEN -- Is there a more beautiful moment on the album than the beginning of this song when the vocals are mixed with the strings from Good Night! Breathtaking! This song is pure Ringo! This version is enhanced by some extra drums, and it really makes the song feel new and alive!! Great stuff!! 10 out of 10!!

LADY MADONNA -- Probably the best intro on the album!! Not even sure where the background music with the hand claps comes from (I think it may be Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, but I'm not sure) but it's very cool!! The solo with the guitars from Hey Bulldog added is a nice touch! I'm not sure why this song still keeps some of the instruments seperated into different channels though. Lead guitar, left channel. Horns and piano, right channel. Surprised to hear that. Nitpicking maybe, but for that reason along, I gotta give this one a 9 out of 10.

HERE COMES THE SUN -- Great intro, but it goes on a bit too long and doesn't blend back into the main part song as seemlessly as some of the others. The rest of the song is virtually unchanged. Not my favorite Beatle track in general and it doesn't deserve a place here IMO. The sound is really great on this one though. 7 out of 10. Great Inner Light outro!!

COME TOGETHER -- I still feel like this one isn't mixed quite right. The drums seem buried behind everything. There are really some new sounds that pop out that aren't heard on previous mixes that is quite interesting. The end of the song with Dear Prudence and Cry Baby Cry mixed in saves it a bit. 8 out of 10. The end where the music slows down is very dramatic and leads quite nicely into...

REVOLUTION -- Man, this song rocks!! The audio quality is amazing!! You really feel the power of the lead guitar on this mix!! Shorter, but otherwise very true to the original. 9 out of 10.

BACK IN THE USSR -- Much cleaner sounding mix than the previous versions of this song. Next to I Am The Walrus, this has the best improvement on sound quality from previous. Another shortened version. 9 out of 10.

WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS -- This version is so beautiful. The string arrangement on this is the only thing that was recorded especially for Love. Very cool! 10 out of 10!!

A DAY IN THE LIFE -- Another song that I feel was included solely based on it's Beatle greatness and not on how it fits in the show. Great sound, but it's a tad too boring for me in this context. 7 out of 10.

HEY JUDE -- Another song that was included because of it's prowess. At least the mix has been played with, which to tell the truth, I wasn't expecting. It's much shorter, but I love how the different instrumentation is tinkered with to give it a great freshness. It really brings out some of the power in Paul's vocals that often get buried in the previous mixes. 10 out of 10.

SGT. PEPPER'S REPRISE -- Starting this song with the horns from Hey Jude is wonderful. Fits together nicely. An onvious pick for second to last song! 9 out of 10.

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE -- The sound quality on this one is amazing!! Never heard it sound so good!! I really was hoping that this song would've had some different bits and pieces mixed into. It would've been a nice way to tie the whole album/show experience together. During the instrumental outro though, there are some snippets from songs buried in there -- including Rain, Sgt. Peppers, Ticket To Ride, etc. Very fun! Wish there was a bit more of that during the rest of the song though. That being said, I couldn't think of a better song to end the show/album. The ending is absolutely perfect with strings from Good Night, the clapping from Get Back, and some unreleased dialogue from John! 9 out of 10!

OVERALL -- 8.7 out of 10! This album is a pure joy!!!
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:21 am

kudos to pw, james and rick, spot on , all ! i second 90-95% of each...no point in adding anything else...yet...
actually, there is one thing: the beginning...'because'..i'd have to disagree with one, i think the hushed, quiet, play, with the slight noise of birds, is intentionally supposed to jar us from the place we all live and breath, and, almost silently, subtley, transport us to this other place, where the music swirls, like a circus cacaphony, and the stage becomes the world...it's all rather dramatic, very stage-like...it centers us to something new..i find it very effective.

i'll let it continue to sink in, each play brings up so many neat and curious things...

laz...you couldn't be more wrong...sorry, lad, but your adventurous spirit is failing you here...again...but, knowing you, in some due time, you'll gain enlightenment...again...and change your mind :wink:
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:34 am

Hey Rick

Very good review all though I don´t agree 100%. The album should have started with Get Back what a start!!

While My Guitar Gently Weeps hasn´t been improoved by orchestration. I the song like it was!!
Why this GNIK NUS should not have been on. John Lennon would probably have loved it

It has been a while since I heard an album so much as this, I think the last one was Chaos!!
Last edited by EddieV on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Again,, great job by James and now Rick.

I'll just add the following to their comments and my previous ones:

1. Things We Said Today guitar on Glass Onion.

2. I Want To Hold Your Hand is actually two versions blended together, the original and the Hollywood Bowl live version, screams and all.

3. Sound effects from Good Morning are present in Kite/Heavy/Skelter

4.Lady Madonna features guitar solos from Hey Bulldog and Eric Clapton's from While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

5. The boys chatter and John's words at the end of the CD and All You Need Is Love is from a 1965 Christmas message to Beatle Fan Club members. In a few words, mumbles and laughter - the essence of The Beatles is captured. :santa
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EwaldK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:51 pm

I made a little comparison so you can hear the difference between I want to hold your hand as it appeared on Pastmasters and the Love album.
http://www.conedm.nl/conemusic/iwanttohold.mp3

I guess I don't have to tell you which is which..
8)
EwaldK

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums