Favorite Music Magazine

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Favorite Music Magazine

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:06 am

When you buy a music magazine, which is the one you are more likely to buy? "Rolling Stone", "Q" 'Uncut" "Guitar Magazine" etc...I know some of you may be saying ....I never buy magazines...or I hate music magazines...well lets just say that you're in an airport and you are about to get on a 12 hour flight....and decide...hey I better buy a music mag or somthing.

which one would you choose! :D
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paulo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:37 pm

I like Mojo a lot (Q too)
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Zaa » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:06 pm

I Like "Rolling Stone"

It's cool and it has good news!
Zaa

Postby Rene » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:49 pm

I like Rolling Stone.
My music appreciation prof used it constantly in class this semester. I see the value in it. They should put one in every time capsule, it really does a good job defining the music culture.
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Paste
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:00 pm

to me...rolling stone magazine is the rock and roll bible.

having said that, i've looked through many of them. and none are perfect. too many advertisements, way too many.

but, apart from music reviews...rolling stone gives you political insight to what is happening aroung the world (the fact that they reside on the same side of the proverbial coin as me, helps a bit, i suppose)

but billboard gets honorable mention. although its been a while since i read it regularly.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:20 pm

I buy Q, and I read my old man's Mojo and Uncut. I used to buy NME until about a year ago, but it's too full of hype. Q is nowhere near as good as it once was, real decline in the last 3-4 years.

Mojo is good for a Beatles special every so often!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:23 pm

The review on Rolling Stone website, of Yusuf Islam's "An Other Cup" is rubbish. The album is worth at the very least 3 and a 1/2 stars, at the least...
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jules » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:31 am

I don't know if I've aleady said this, but I used to love Q as a teenager in the eighties from about '86 or '87. Then, in '94 (I think) I started buying Mojo every month until about 2001. Then I went right off both magazines. I was under the impression that there were no meaty articles any more. And there seemed to be too much stuff on Punk. (I hate Punk "bands".) The magazines appeared to have dumbed down to an unbelievable extent. Or perhaps I was just getting older, more cynical and maybe a touch wiser? Who knows? However, now I never buy music magazines; only books. Even then I am very selective. So many of them that I buy about The Beatles or McCartney are just plain wrong. They contain factual inaccuracies which often could have been rectified easily if only the author could have been bothered to do some basic research...or if s/he had been at all interested in the subject matter. So much out there is really unmittigated drivel.
jules

Postby Rene » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:23 pm

jules wrote:I don't know if I've aleady said this, but I used to love Q as a teenager in the eighties from about '86 or '87. Then, in '94 (I think) I started buying Mojo every month until about 2001. Then I went right off both magazines. I was under the impression that there were no meaty articles any more. And there seemed to be too much stuff on Punk. (I hate Punk "bands".) The magazines appeared to have dumbed down to an unbelievable extent. Or perhaps I was just getting older, more cynical and maybe a touch wiser? Who knows? However, now I never buy music magazines; only books. Even then I am very selective. So many of them that I buy about The Beatles or McCartney are just plain wrong. They contain factual inaccuracies which often could have been rectified easily if only the author could have been bothered to do some basic research...or if s/he had been at all interested in the subject matter. So much out there is really unmittigated drivel.

Hey Jules...in your opinion what is the very best, most accurate Beatles book out there?
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Books, magazines, etc.