The new DVD ?

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

The new DVD ?

Postby wiseblood » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 am

I am new around here and don't post much so I thought I'd start things off in a controversial way :)

I don't like the new DVD. I am 27 and have been listening to the Beatles and Paul my whole life and I'm tired of the ass kissing style DVDs that he has been putting out. Can't we just get a DVD that is a true concert? This is why I collect bootlegs...

Thoughts?
wiseblood

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:29 pm

I don't have the new DVD yet. But I did see the A&E special, so I know what you're talking about. I hate to say this, but I feel like these last couple DVDs haven't been put out to please the fans, but to show how awesome Paul is. It's so self-serving, I don't think I would be able to watch much of it. When I get it, I plan on recording all the songs onto CD, so I can just listen to the songs. More so than any other artist, I feel like Paul is really out of touch with his core fan base.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:00 pm

I agree...there isn't one concert film he's done that even holds a candle to Rockshow

I like the way Neil Young done his concert film Heart of Gold.
Feel free to take notes Paul.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:13 pm

I've only seen the trailer...but I really didn't like Alec Baldwin and Bill Clinton telling me how good Paul is! :evil:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JennyWren » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:52 pm

Do I wish we'd get a pure concert DVD. Absolutely. But that's not the DVD that Paul wants to make. Oh, well. I'm still glad to have a film of the one and only Paul concert I've seen and will enjoy watching it many times, I'm sure.

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:07 pm

But that's not the DVD that Paul wants to make.

Yes, but he's not the one buying them...we are.

Paul...watch Concert For George. That's how it's done. :)
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby wiseblood » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:17 pm

i thought i'd be in the minority around here with this being a Paul site, but it looks like you guys feel pretty close to what i'm feeling...

out of his "recent" VHS/DVD releases, maybe "Get Back" and "Red Square" are the best. i haven't seen "Get Back" in so long, but i remember it being pretty good with back to back songs all the way through. the only thing i remember about that one is that the songs are being played back at the wrong speed due to the way it was recorded. i didn't mind all the conversation in the Red Square DVD because it gave me a glimpse into a culture that i know next to nothing about. it was nice.

it's just too bad that we need to be told over and over again how great the guy is. didn't we already think that? i know that's why i went to the concert in the first place AND bought the DVD (hoping it would be something to sink my teeth into, but was absolutely disappointed).

i'm telling you guys - collect bootlegs. you can download videos and audio recordings of these shows from a lot of great torrent sites. i'll post some links here later if you're into this idea.

i'm currently downloading the Anaheim show on DVD.
wiseblood

Postby stylegurrl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:30 am

Personally I hate concert DVDs full of audience shots and commentary from fans, freinds etc. They are like one big ego trip for the artist and this is why I don't buy them. I agree with wiseblood-although boots aren't legal they are the best way for fans to enjoy an unadulterated concert experience.
stylegurrl

Postby JBo_110 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:47 pm

I agree with everyone that it'd be nice to have a straight-up concert video included like Concert for George ... but I suppose having actually been to the concert last year, it's not as important to me to have that.

That said, I still like the DVD, given that rather than being a concert film, it's supposed to be more of a "documentary" of the whole concert experience ... so the cutaway shots and whatnot add to it some, in my opinion. (though there is a such thing as too much).

Plus, some of the audience reactions are rather amusing to watch. :p

And it's fun trying to pick out which shots were taken in Detroit. :D
JBo_110

Postby Paul_Fan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:33 pm

I think Paul should watch Peter Gabriel's Secret World or POV concerts and mold them after that.
These are the days of miracle and wonder....
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA-Videos