Author ! Author !! (who do you like)

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:33 pm

BruceMirken wrote:"Pudd'nhead Wilson" is a great obscurity. While on vacation lately, I read a book of Twain stories that mostly I'd never read before, including several that are just utterly brilliant: "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg," "The Second Advent," and the truly eerie unfinished novella, "The Great Dark."
Those sound juicy.

I didn't see I, Robot either. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Re: Author ! Author !! (who do you like)

Postby chris » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:38 pm

just finished yet another dean koontz novel. i am inexplicably drawn to his books for some reason. but i seem to have stumbled on a pattern in his writing...(i hate formula writing*, makes things so predictable) that is...his books are very strong from page one, to about twenty pages from the ending. his endings seem to come out of nowhere, he just cleans everything up with one swoosh of a typewriter (okay, typewriters and computer keyboards don't swoosh, but you know what i'm saying). in other words, his endings suck. you can count on it.

* by formula writing, allow me to give you an example...take dan brown, fine author of da vinci code and...angels and demons, among others. in da vinci code, there is bad guy french cop, who you just knew was out to catch robert langdon any way he could...but by the end of the book, he was an honorable cop, wanting only to do good. and also, trusted langdon friend, teabing, who you just knew was a good guy, turned out to be a treacherous worm. point is...the book had a good guy that turned out to be bad...and a bad guy who turned out to be good.

i bring this up, and refer to it as formula writing, because another book featuring langdon, angel and demons, also had a bad guy turned good and good guy turned bad. which would normally be both fine and dandy. but on redaing yet anothet dan brown novel, he emplyed the same techniques. and know what? he didn't trick me this time. i predicted this guy would end up being bad and so on.

anyone who knows me knows i should be the abso-fricken-lute last person who can tell you what will happen in a book/movie. now i suspect i will not be reading brown's nest novel featuring robert langdon.

just sayin'
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mommasturn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Angels and demons and da vinci code made me think, but I am not oone who places a lot of weight in anybook.
I don't really think it matters whether there would be a blood line of Jesus or not. Each and every person's faith or lack of it is their business and their decision. A good read yes but life changing???

As for S. Kiing... My guy has the whole collection, I read Gerald's game when we first met and was pretty grossed out by it. Last year I tackled the whole dark tower series and loved it. Green Mile very good. I don't have much time to read. I may go 6 or 8 months between books and I have to read books dealling with kids issues so my reading isn't always for pleasure.

I am starting to read Blaze a small easy book to get my mind in gear for Lisey's story a larger more intimidating book to tackle.

On the girly side I loved Maeve Binchy because I felt like I was there in Dublin with all of those characters. The whole atmosphere was palatable. And like SK she intertwines stories so they have familiar characters between books.
mommasturn

Postby mr h atom » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:54 am

ahhh...The Green Mile...what a great book...what a superb concept...

stevie did that one, originally, as 'chapter' books...every 2 to 4 weeks he put out one, small, slim chapter...and you had to WAIT for the next installment !!

now...if you've never read this wonderful book (it IS one of his best )...try having to WAIT for each chapter to come out...

EXCRUCIATING !!!!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby wdidwmh699807 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:49 am

my favorite authors are

Danielle Steele
Nicholas Sparks {Message In A Bottle Walk To Remember Or The Notebook}
Tennessee Williams {Glass Menagerie Cat On A Hot Tin Roof}
William Faulkner
Richard Russo { Empire Falls Or Nobody's Fool}
"Love You're Never Too Far"
wdidwmh699807

Postby EddieV » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Hans Christian Andersen :-D
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby cjm320 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Favorites???? I'd have to go with Fitzgerald, Hermann Hesse,Kerouac, Thoreau, Emmerson,Twain and Dickens to name a few.

I read a lot of politics/history so David Halberstam, Bob Woodward, Robert Dallek and David McCullough come to mind as well
cjm320

Postby bonovox66 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:36 am

I don't know if anyone still reads him, but I love Arthur C Clarke. I've read almost everything he's written. My favorite book of his is The City and the Stars.

Other than that, I like to read biographies: music or other. just picked up U2 a Diary, haven't read it yet.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Books, magazines, etc.