The Beatles "Wannabe" groups

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:52 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Oh--and if anyone was considered, AT THE TIME, the "Beatles of the 70's", it was Elton John. Not that I ever agreed with that, mind you. There were no "Beatles of the 70's". The closest thing in my book, of course, was Macca himself.

In that respect, you're right. The Beatles spent the longest time on the charts in the 60s, and Elton did the same in the 70s. To follow this to its logical conclusion would be to call Shakin' Stevens the "Beatles of the 80s" as he spent the most time on the charts in that decade. As for the 90s, the charts became so liquid, as they still are, that any "longest" span would be meaningless . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:55 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Oh--and if anyone was considered, AT THE TIME, the "Beatles of the 70's", it was Elton John. Not that I ever agreed with that, mind you. There were no "Beatles of the 70's". The closest thing in my book, of course, was Macca himself.

In that respect, you're right. The Beatles spent the longest time on the charts in the 60s, and Elton did the same in the 70s. To follow this to its logical conclusion would be to call Shakin' Stevens the "Beatles of the 80s" as he spent the most time on the charts in that decade. As for the 90s, the charts became so liquid, as they still are, that any "longest" span would be meaningless . . .

Wasn't talking about charts and Elton. He was considered groundbreaking in the 1972-1974 period. SOME people considered Taupin-John to be the next Lennon-McCartney. WRONG!

As for musical achievement, he was also considered groundbreaking---I also disagreed. Still do---
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:56 am

At least not in the same league as The Fab Four, that's for sure.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:02 am

There were some groups CONSIDERED as The Beatles of early seventies as were "Marmalade"(!) "The Bay City Rollers"(!!) and "The Osmonds"(!!!).[V]
Peace
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:03 am

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
There were many groups CONSIDERED as The Beatles in early seventies as were "The Bay City Rollers"(!) and "The Osmonds"(!!).[V]
Peace

HAHA Nito--good one. "Like a Yo-Yo"...those lovable Osmond boys. I hear they all loved sugar cubes and carrots.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:06 am

There were some groups CONSIDERED as The Beatles of early seventies as were "Marmalade"(!) "The Bay City Rollers"(!!) and "The Osmonds"(!!!).[V]
Peace

It's just unfortunate that people try and call a group "The Beatles of . . ." - that will automatically make all Beatles fans suspicious of them.

As for Elton/Bernie being John/Paul II, they`re probably the closest thing there is . . .
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:07 am

"Like a Yo-Yo"...LOL[:D] What memorie Steve!!! I think they were a fake!! LOL[:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:12 am

"Like a Yo-Yo"...LOL[:D] What memorie Steve!!! I think they were a fake!! LOL[:D]

Peace.

I always laughed at "One Bad Apple"..definately a song to match the teeth of that bunch. LOL
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:13 am

Peace

A good one is "Reflections Of My Life" of "Marmalade", good melody but in the other hand their "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" cover is simply ridiculous!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:16 am

NITO--forgot about that song. Very nice--"Reflections". Sounded very Beatlely...

how about BADFINGER? Paul had them follow the demo exactly and guaranteed them a hit--they did and it was. I LOVE that song and was so glad it was on the last Anthology.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions