Singers(why they are great)

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Singers(why they are great)

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 pm

There are many reasons why someone is considered a great vocalist. In most cases, I doesn't have to do with the quality of the voice. Artists like Frank Sinatra, Van Morrison, even Elton John had the ability to bring life to a song, just from the phrasing they used. Sinatra in particular, always seemed to be a half a beat behind the band, but alway managed to catch up just at the right time...and this effect made the songs more interesting.
What's my point you ask? Listen to Macca do the same thing with Till There Was You. Just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY-dq4A8p8
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:49 pm

i'm not sure i completely agree about sinatra and elton not having good voices. but i agree that the way someone sings a song can elevate the song itself. van the man is a good example. elvis costello is a great one. neither have incredible pipes, but the way they use what they have...sets them apart from many others.

many people seem to think that paul rodgers (from free and bad company) has a great voice. its a good voice, i think. but he has a style. and that style is copied particularly often, by the likes of don henly (eagles) i think part of being considered a good...and an original sounding singer, is finding your own voice. finding your strength as a vocallist and using it.

i also remember reading a review of a randy newman album once. the review went on about how great a songwriter he was. it then said that his songwriting stood out because newman didn't have a strong voice. it brought up the scenario that if randy newman could sing like paul mccartney...would anyone ever notice how good a songwriter he was? so...food for thought.

what?...you didn't expect me to have a point, did you?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Paul as a Beatle