Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey

Postby chris » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:35 pm

I had the opportunity recently to re-discover what many consider to be one of the most amazing and influencial movies of the last century.

I have to give the movie credit for being a wonder to look at. Walking on the moon before it actually happened was quite realistic. the outer space scenes were beautiful. and the music...couldn't have been more perfect.

the story line builds slowly. starting with the dawn of man, the discovery of tools. flash forward to the lunar surface. then on to jupiter and whatever orbits it.

one question though...now, I'm an educated guy. i can appreciate art in most forms. but i was hoping someone could answer something for me...what in the name of God was this about? the monolisks represented what? obviosly this is one of those metaphorical flicks that make you think. right?

Was it life? was it death? eternal searching? beginnings?

and whats up with the child star at the end of the flick? and that light show as the astronaut was...dying?

is killer pot neccessary to grasp this movie? i'm not sure if it was a masterpiece, or if the movie stunk?

I'm looking for anyone's explanation of just what in the world happened.

monolisks...c'mon Stanley, what were the monolisks about?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 am

the only thing i can tell you, and i can easily admit to having seen this dozens of times, in various states of...alteredness (heh-heh) is that it is best to view it with people, preferably ones with some modicam of intelligence, and a whole lot of time to talk about it after words....it is literally quite open to interpretation.

back in the day, it was one my friends and i would debate endlessly, and never reach a consenus. back in the day, when i cared too much and had too much time on my hands, i actually read a book about the making of the film...and it's ambiguity was one of it's intentions. stanley wanted it to be enjoyed on a multitude of levels (which both p.o.'d a.c. clarke and had him admiring it at the same time, if i recall)...it's actually pretty darn complex and have gotten lost in trying to figure it out many a time.

if i tried to answer your ?'s, it'd be like this: 42, their clients, yes, sure, yup, uh-huh, alpha & omega, got me, evolution, sometimes, it doesn't.

i can only tell you one thing with certainty...and this would be the only rock solid answer you'll ever really get...and it is this :

if stanley kubrick answers your questions...run !!! hide !!!!
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:21 pm

well...thanks for the reply. i supposed it was a...its whatever you think its about...type of movie. i spoke to several people who have seen the flick, and just about everyone has a different theory.

my kids, though, keep humming some of the music in the movie...blue danube, i think. its driving my wife bonkers. so at least there is one endearing quality of the movie.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I love this flick too. It makes more sense if you read the book---but it's been ages since I read the book so I forget just how it helped me understand the movie! :oops:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:19 pm

i'll give the film maker credit for one thing...the space scenes look better than half the space movies released today (and this was released in 1968)
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:43 am

that IS ' the blue danube waltz' by johann strauss...any good strauss collection should have it...or try the soundtrack, it is excellant.

i really wasn't joking...i went to school with a guy who was a huge kubrick nut...wanted to grow and have his babies, practically...and he read every drip and drop that the man ever muttered: and he was very adamant that it is supposed to be very open to debate on what it was all about. i guess sk would state different things to different people at different times...

i've heard, and debated, everything: from the monoliths (sentinals) are god; gods spies; aliens; us, from the very far future:

is it about evolution..or an anti evolution rant....

is it sci-fi...or philosophy...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:16 pm

could it be that that is the point, though? make a piece of art that will be talked about, argued over, sometimes loved, and loathed?

Kubric's was a really good film maker. he rarely did things by accident. and he always had a reason for what he did. i don't know if i'd go so far as to say i'd have his babies. but in my opinion...he's one of the few directors that, along with Scorsese, Altman, Stone (before he lost his mind), Spielberg, and arguably Tarantino...that make a statement with his art. he's a director you can usually count on to give you something to think about long after the credits have rolled.

could he have been so far sighted as to know 35 years later that people will still be debating the meaning of this movie?
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:35 pm

could he have been so far sighted as to know 35 years later that people will still be debating the meaning of this movie?

Well, it could just be that there isn't a meaning to his movie. It's like the question...What is the meaning of Life?.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:01 am

c'mon...that's easy.......i keep telling you.....it's 42 !

ask the mice !
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:14 pm

The Apes part at the beggining got me interested, then i gave up on it after that.
Mabye i gots to watch it all the way through...
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to Movies & TV