Yoko - Approximately Infinite Universe (1973)

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Yoko - Approximately Infinite Universe (1973)

Postby kylestyle » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:39 am

I've been searching out rare records that I've never been able to find in the shops, and I recently came across Yoko's Approximately Infinite Universe. Wow, what a great album! :D

The songs have a glammy alternative rock sound to it, like early Roxy Music. The songs are actually quite good, some are (dare I say) GREAT! On 'Waiting For Sunrise' she sounds like Siouxsie Sioux's 1980 hit 'Christine' - like new wave music 5-10 years before its time. The quieter piano-based songs are also quite contemplative and nice. When she screams, it's actually set in with the music as a riff and not overtaking the song like her earlier stuff. I've also been listening to 'Yoko Ono - Plastic Ono Band' and that's an even wilder trip! :o I tell ya what.. I've never heard John and Ringo rock harder as a rhythm section!

I've never been one to 'hate' Yoko, and Kiss Kiss Kiss was always hands down the best song on Double Fantasy outstripping John's predictable-but-good songs by quite a margin.. but I now have a newfound appreciation of Yoko. She rocks! :D
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby King_Monkey! » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:03 am

Yoko is a huge talent often forgotten and overshadowed by the other 4 Beatles...... She not just a pretty face, theres more to her than that!People round here should be more greatful to her and her art!
King_Monkey!

Postby EwaldK » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:25 pm

King_Monkey! wrote:Yoko is a huge talent often forgotten and overshadowed by the other 4 Beatles...... She not just a pretty face, theres more to her than that!People round here should be more greatful to her and her art!

Well, I don't agree she has a pretty face :oops: , but without doubt she had a fresh attitude to the music, clearly audible on Double Fantasy.
She seemed to be more up to date with music popular styles at that time (disco, new wave etc.), where John sounds like a house man trying to do rock songs the way he used to do so many years ago...John's songs clearly have potential but they all sound laid back and powerless.

I also like the " Walking On Thin Ice" mixes from a few years ago.
EwaldK

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions