Best Denny Laine Song on a Wings-album?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby jules » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes, exactly; McCartney is far more talented than Cobain IMHO. I really do feel that a positive attitude and a bit of light and warmth are more entertaining than the bleak, unhappy soundscapes of Cobain. Macca's always provided the former.
Strangely, Lennon's Beatles songs, although they sometimes express confusion/angst/bittersweet emotions, always sound warm and ultimately positive. (e.g. She Said She Said, Strawberry Fields, I Am The Walrus) I think that warmth and positivity is what he lost (but Paul didn't) post Beatles.
jules

Postby kylestyle » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:25 pm

I give up. I personally couldn't care less what you all like nor dislike. :lol: I'm not into this "so-and-so is better than so-and-so" sort of argument... it's all music, they all made great music, and if you don't appreciate it then that's your loss.

And for the record, I like both Kurt Cobain and Neil Sedaka. And Denny Laine for that matter. :wink:
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:23 am

I am excited for Denny's new album to come out. Wonder what that'll be like.
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby RickStark79 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:54 am

Paul could've never came up with Lithium, In Bloom, All Apologies, Serve The Seravnts, etc. Just as Kurt could've never wrote Hey Jude, Let It Be, Band On The Run, etc. etc. That's what makes them different, but both so great.

Denny's songs pailed in comparison to Paul's while he was in Wings, but so did Dave Grohl's to Kurt's when he was in Nirvana. Maybe if Denny would've did a solo album at the height of the Wings era, he would've had a big solo career as well. We'll never know that now. I do know however, that the Foo Fighters are way better than Nirvana. Dave Grohl proved to be much more than a great drummer. IMO
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby funkbeatle » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:21 am

I particularly like No Words co-written with Paul.
funkbeatle

Postby ANGRY » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:16 am

:D i can't believe i missed all that....i just keep hearing elton john singing....'can you feel the love tonite ?' :lol:

on the topic...his absolute best moments are all on WOA, IMHO: time to hide...and, i've always loved dennys cover of richard cory...what a cool, dramatic moment. very well done !
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby kylestyle » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:40 pm

I do know however, that the Foo Fighters are way better than Nirvana.

I have to disagree with that. The first Foo Fighters album was in my opinion, right up there with the best of Nirvana. It's almost as good as Nevermind and In Utero. The Colour and the Shape is also a good album, but it begins to lose its edge and is more commercial than the first album. Then, all the albums after that, suffer from that stadium rock sound. The Foo Fighters suddenly became the darlings of FM Radio Rock stations everywhere, joining the ranks of Creed, Live, Staind and Good Charlotte. The music became overly commercial. Dave would either do "rock-out" songs or heartfelt sugary pop. His music is nowhere as interesting as Kurt Cobain's. With Dave, we've heard it all before. We hear it on radio all the time, it neither shocks nor surprises us. When In Your Honor came out, it did not surprise me at all that Dave would do an entire cd of acoustic stuff. He always was this softie at heart. He does the rock thing because he was raised to be a rock dude with big nuts and that's what people expect him to do, and his humour and good character made him an affable drummer for Nirvana and other bands such as Queens of the Stone Age. But really, I think he'd rather be James Taylor! :lol: He's a bit of a wimp really! :lol:
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby piami » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 pm

Yeah, Denny Laine was a good sideman in Wings. Songs that I enjoyed most were:
Spirits of Ancient Eqypt
The Note You Never Wrote
Go Now.

But I'll take JM's Medicine Jar over all of Denny's songs. I also continue to be blown away by Joe English's voice on Must Do Something About It.
The Lights Go Down - They're Back In Town O.K.
Behind The Stacks You Glimpse An Axe
The Tension Mounts You Score An Ounce Ole!
Temperatures Rise As You See The White Of Their Eyes!
piami

Postby piami » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:42 pm

Oops!
Can't forget Time To Hide "live". Very good run thru.
BTW
Did anyone else notice this in the Rockshow Video?
During I've Just Seen A Face, Jimmy M (on bass) sees Denny goofily bouncing up and down in his chair and gets this annoyed look on his face and roll his eyes? Classic!
The Lights Go Down - They're Back In Town O.K.
Behind The Stacks You Glimpse An Axe
The Tension Mounts You Score An Ounce Ole!
Temperatures Rise As You See The White Of Their Eyes!
piami

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:08 am

I'll have to watch for that piami!

I watched and haha that's classic Jimmy :)
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions