Huey Lewis & the News!

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Huey Lewis & the News!

Postby UsagiAndMamoru » Wed May 24, 2006 6:05 pm

I bought their new CD+DVD collection today, and it's awesome! The CD has 21 tracks (one is a live recording), and the DVD has 9 music videos and a live performance of "Workin' For A Livin'" with the Tower Of Power horns filmed live at the Country Club in Reseda, CA on 4/29/82. Now, I wonder if Capitol/EMI will do a Hits/Videos combo for Go West or Queensrÿche.
UsagiAndMamoru

Postby maccastheman » Wed May 24, 2006 8:10 pm

Huey Lewis is somebody I can listen to in limited doses. I don't think he's horrible, but I don't think he's great either. His band did back Elvis Costello in the early years, so that ought to count for something.

I did really enjoy him in the film Duets with Gwyneth Paltrow. That was a great performance that came out of left field. I would have never suspected it.

But the main thing I will always associate Huey Lewis with is the film American Psycho. Any time his songs come on the radio I just think of the scene where Christian Bale slaughters that guy with an ax while "Hip to Be Square" is blaring over the stereo.

Even writing this "objective" stuff about Huey Lewis reminds me of the monolgue Christian Bale gave explaining the importance of Huey Lewis's music in poplular culture right before he slaughtered the guy.

And I did think it was kind of funny. :twisted:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Wed May 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Yeah for some reason I always associate Huey Lewis with 'the American jock' - the cleancut macho whiteboy persona (without trying to sound racist). But having said that, I dig his stuff. Really dig I Want A New Drug, Heart of Rock and Roll, there are a few songs I think are quite groovy. And he did a great job with Gwyneth Paltrow in Duets too. Not so keen on 'Stuck With You' and 'Couple Days Off' - some of it is perhaps overly commercial for my tastes (I prefer something weird or interesting happening in my music haha) but like maccastheman says, in small doses he's great!
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Laura » Wed May 24, 2006 11:50 pm

I have 2 cds by Huey Lewis Sports & Fore
I haven't played them in awhile
Laura
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu May 25, 2006 12:04 am

Usagiandmamoru - Did you see that Huey Lewis and Chicago are touring together this summer? I know you like both of them.

I saw Chicago with Earth, Wind, and Fire last summer and they were great together. Chicago's performance was definitely an "oldies" show, but one of the better ones out there. My father is in love with Chicago, so every other year he tries to see them. I went with him mainly to see Earth, Wind, and Fire. Both acts were great, but Earth, Wind, and Fire seemed to have more enthusiasm because they were promoting a new album at the time.

Chicago just released a new album, so they will probably have some of that enthusiasm this year.

Earth, Wind, and Fire are touring with Chris Botti this year. That would be a great show to catch. Unfortunately I will be out of town the weeked of that show. Botti is red hot right now. I did see him in a hotel lounge here in Dallas earlier this year, and he was incredible. One heck of a trumpet player.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Thu May 25, 2006 2:58 am

Huey Lewis are all right. They were big in the 80´s as I recall. I like some of their songs like I want a new drug.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby UsagiAndMamoru » Thu May 25, 2006 5:18 am

maccastheman wrote:Usagiandmamoru - Did you see that Huey Lewis and Chicago are touring together this summer? I know you like both of them.

Oh yeah, I certainly did! And I just emailed my dad about the show, and I hope he'll get tickets!
UsagiAndMamoru

Return to Music - Other Artists