Sting the jazz musician

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Sting the jazz musician

Postby maccastheman » Fri May 19, 2006 7:55 pm

The more and more I get into smooth jazz (scary isn't it?), the more and more I appreicate Sting's solo career.

I was a big fan of his several years ago. (When I was about 16 or so) The Soul Cages is the album I first really, really got into. Then I sort of went backwards from there. (The Dream of the Blue Turtles, all of the Police stuff, etc.) At the time I knew his solo stuff was jazzier than his stuff with the Police, but I liked them both just about equally.

I thought Ten Summorn's Tales was a great album as well. I really liked the video for "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You."

He lost me around Mercury Falling. Ironically, that's the first (and so far only) time I've ever seen him in concert. I wasn't overly impressed at the time, but maybe he just had an off night. (Plus I didn't really care for that album at all. I still think "Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot" is one of the worst songs he's ever written)

Then the Brand New Day album came out and I thought he was getting better, but for some reason I didn't get back into his music as much as I had before.

Like most everybody, I completely ignored Sacred Love.

Then earlier this year I saw Chris Botti with David Sanborn. I didn't even go for Botti - I went to see Sanborn. I knew Botti had played with Sting but I wasn't that familiar with him other than that. Botti just blew me away in concert. His trumpet playing is exceptional. After that I got the All This Time DVD just to watch Botti's performance. Then I really began to appreciate Sting as a bandleader for the first time - like a jazz bandleader. He's always played with some great talent - from Branford Marsalis to Darryl Jones (now with the Rolling Stones) to Botti.

The stuff on ...Nothing Like the Sun is incredible. Great playing.

So in sum, I think when his songwriting is good, he is good. He always has great musicians with him, but the songs aren't always there. When they are there, he's great. I know a lot of people don't like his music these days because they miss the sound of the harder-rocking Police. These days I prefer his solo career to the Police. I've always thought "Roxanne" was an extremely overrated song anyway.

I've been on a psudo jazz kick lately anyway - Steely Dan, Sting, Sanborn, Herbie Hancock (closer to "real" jazz), Boz Scaggs, Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, etc.

I love Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, and many other "real" jazz musicians, but for some reason I find myself listening to the above artists much more.

I hate having to put "real" jazz in quotes, too. But I fear the jazz snobs out there. :wink: :twisted: I used to work at Barnes and Noble in the music department, and I came across them every day. :roll:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:46 pm

I've always thought "Roxanne" was an extremely overrated song anyway.

Pick up a copy of the Secret Policemans ball and listen to Sting do Roxanne alone with quitar. Powerful and brilliant.

Feild of Gold is another song that is simple but beautiful at the same time.
I'm so Happy, I can't stop crying is anther personal favourite. :)

Didn't Sting start out playing Jazz?
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri May 19, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm not sure if he started out playing jazz....who starts out playing jazz?

I know he was a school teacher who liked the excitement of punk rock and thought he could "incorperate more melody to it...hence The Police, but I'm not sure when he got into jazz.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Fri May 19, 2006 11:40 pm

He did start out as a jazz musician but made quite a sharp turn with the Police. I'm sure it caught a lot of people off guard when he went so far in the jazz direction after leaving the Police - quite early on. (With The Dream of the Blue Turtles and Bring on the Night)

I don't like "I'm so Happy..." I just can't get into the lyrics. And it's not that I dont' like "Roxanne," I just don't think it's the greatest song he's ever written. Everybody goes on and on about how it's his best song - I think it's far from it.
Last edited by maccastheman on Sat May 20, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:25 am

I don't like "I'm so Happy

:? :wink: ..for some reason, that sounds funny.

The Shape of my Heart is a great song too.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists