Paul Simon comments on Macca, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Paul Simon comments on Macca, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones

Postby maccastheman » Mon May 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Paul Simon credits the Rolling Stones
Paul Simon, who's released his new album Surprises, said that he's not overly impressed by some of his '60s contemporaries' current work. He told The New York Times that he's not that excited about Neil Young's new material, but added that he respects the Rolling Stones for keeping it together for five decades, explaining that, "I don't think Mick Jagger and Keith Richards ever liked each other any better than Artie (Garfunkel) and I did, but they show other bands that it can be done, that it's possible. That's more interesting than watching Paul McCartney go out and play Beatles songs (in concert)."

Simon, who debuted songs from his new album yesterday at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, added that there's always a risk when presenting a new project to a loyal and longtime audience: "I understand that what I'm doing might not be interesting to a lot of people. I think the key is that you don't give up -- you just keep going."

Surprises, Simon's first new collection since 2000's You're The One, is co-produced by Brian Eno, best known for his work with U2, David Bowie, Talking Heads, and Roxy Music.

On Saturday (May 13th), he will appear as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live.

http://www.therockradio.com/2006/05/pau ... tones.html
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon May 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Interesting. One thing I admire about Paul Simon is how adventurous he is - he was heavily into folk early on, then gospel, then jazz, then world/African/Brazilian/Zydeco music, then he did his Broadway musical, then he played with different song structures on You're the One and now he's back with the avant guard-ish album Surprise. I really like the songs I've heard from it so far. "How Can You Live in the Northeast" and "Outrageous" are both brilliant.

He wasn't really dissing Macca, but he wasn't exactly kind either. Macca called him up on his 64th birthday to sing the song for him, so I know they're still friends.

As for Neil Young, who knows what's going on there.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:13 pm

I don't think it's a diss either. I just think he just said what all of us have said on this forum many times. Play new music, and leave the Beatle songs for a while. He really can't say too much since he just finished a S & G tour, so I'm sure he mean't that Paul should play more new music.

Not sure about the Neil Young though....Neil only does what HE wants to do, so I can't see that he has a problem with that. Maybe it's the politics he isn't happy with.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby piami » Mon May 08, 2006 10:06 pm

I doubt Paul S was dissing Paul M.
Sounds like he was making a joke. I bet he was smiling when he said it.
piami

Postby chris » Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 pm

I have to agree with 2/3 here. I don't think he was knocking Paul. He was merely suggesting what we all here have said before. More new material and dig deeper into the catalog. However, what if he was knocking Paul?...Mr Simon has his own opinion, and has earned the right to speak out on whatever he wants to...right?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue May 09, 2006 8:35 am

Good points made by all. Like I said early on, I know they are friends and he wasn't dissing Macca. He even made a joke about Macca calling him on his birthday saying, "I know I'm 64 because Paul McCartney called me on my 64th birthday to sing it for me."

Confession time - I did make it to the second weekend of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage festival. (After auctioning off a few things on Ebay, lol)

Paul Simon had an amazing set, and he only did 3 S&G songs which were radically reworked. (Cecilia, Mrs. Robinson, and Bridge Over Troubled Water). I agree that's more interesting than just trying to copy the original sound.

Plus he pared down his band. When he started to play "How Can You Live In the Northeast" I heard distorted guitars, ambience, etc. - something I've never heard from Paul Simon. This was my third time to see him. (Once with Bob Dylan, once with Garfunkel). Each time the show has produced a different over-all vibe. As great as Macca's shows are, they do have a sameness about them after a while. The great thing about them, however, is that the power of the songs is so strong that it just carries you away. But yes, it would be cool if he would try to do different things.

As for Neil Young, maybe all PS was trying to say is that we've done the protest thing before, let's try something else?
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Tue May 09, 2006 10:38 am

I don´t new if Macca plays a couple of Beatles songs. They are great. But as 2 of 3 said, he must think new next time.
Last edited by EddieV on Tue May 09, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue May 09, 2006 11:48 am

One interesting note about Paul Simon's comment about Neil Young: Both of their new albums are being released in stores today. :wink:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:31 pm

I hope it's a great album. Paul Simon is a fantastic song writer. American Tune is genius.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue May 09, 2006 11:20 pm

2 of 3 wrote:I hope it's a great album. Paul Simon is a fantastic song writer. American Tune is genius.

Totally agree. Over-all, I prefer Paul Simon's solo career to his work with Garfunkel, but that is one song that Art Garfunkel adds so much to. The original solo version by Paul Simon is great, but when he and Garfunkel sang it together in 2003 it just blew my mind. I play it all the time.

He did perform it last weekend in New Orleans. That and "Loves Me Like a Rock" were the only songs with any sort of political message that he performed. (As opposed to Springsteen who's set was full of political songs and lots of political comments in between songs)

In fact the only thing Paul Simon said throughout his set was that performing in New Orleans was a "priviledge."

Both performances were great. Springsteen's was much more emotionally charged and therefore extremely powerful, but Simon proved he's still on top of his game and the new songs were the real highlight. (At least in my opinion) Those and the collaborations with Buckwheat Zydeco, Irma Thomas, and Allen Toussaint. (On "That Was Your Mother," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and "Graceland.")
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists