Neil Young - Living with War

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Neil Young - Living with War

Postby maccastheman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:00 pm

I've been listening to some of the audio streams from Neil's web site. http://www.neilyoung.com

It actually sounds pretty cool. I love the 100-piece choir behind him. The horns sound pretty good, too. It's interesting having those things behind a power trio of guitar, bass, and drums. Lyrically he makes some good points, but I don't know if I agree with all of them. At least he's putting his thoughts and ideas to music as opposed to turning into a politician. I think that's where he's strongest, and I'm pretty sure that's what he thinks, too.

So far I prefer Prairie Wind to this one, but at least it sounds really different than anything else he's ever done before. I'm anxious to hear the whole album.

I never got Greendale or Are You Passionate, so I don't know how to compare it with those two. The last "rock" record of his I got was Broken Arrow, and it was pretty disappointing. (Especially after the incredible albums Sleeps With Angels and Mirror Ball)

I got Silver and Gold when it came out, and I really liked that one. Praire Wind is great, too.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BruceMirken » Sat May 06, 2006 11:57 pm

I am waiting for the CD to come out, but this is one I will buy instantly. It's refreshing to see some people in the music world finally confronting the murderous stupidity of the Bush regime. Though John Fogerty's "Deja Vu (All Over Again) will always rank as the first great anti-war song of the Iraq War.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Sun May 07, 2006 5:44 am

Well I like After The Garden, but (am I alone in thinking this) that the other songs are all the same beat, the same chords, almost like one dirge after another, albeit with different lyrics?

It's like he paid certainly more attention to the protest nature of the words than the music side, which to me is a shame. It sounds like it's only halfway there as a viable album of worth. I mean, it's great he's compelled to write about the political situation and I agree totally with his sympathies - but the music is plain dire. He's got a cool sound with that crunchy guitar, driving drums and horn section but everything's so samey. But y'never know, it might grow, we'll see. :?
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sun May 07, 2006 10:05 pm

I have to say folks in all honesty, I think "Impeach the President" is a lousy song. Neil at a low. I really like Neil Young but man oh man that song is lame.

When I say that it's lame, I mean the song...not Neil's politics.
So just for the record, I'm not looking for a political debate.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BruceMirken » Wed May 10, 2006 1:03 am

Well, I just got through my first full listening, having bought the CD this evening. While one listening is obviously not enough for a detailed reaction, I must say I listened to it half the time with tears streaming down my face. Neil was saying nearly everything I've been waiting for someone prominent to say for years. Is it great art? Probably not, but it's real, heartfelt, and in some places downright poetic, especially "Roger and Out." Ending it with the chorus singing "America the Beautiful" is a brilliant, shivers-up-the-spine touch. Buy this album. Really.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Wed May 10, 2006 11:11 am

I listened to the entire album last week a couple of times on his Web site, and I went ahead and bought the CD yesterday. It was really cool how you could preview the entire thing on his Web site. I pretty much agree 100% with the review at http://www.amg.com

It's not his best album, but it's certainly interesting and "of the moment." It will be interesting to see how he performs some of the songs with CSN this summer on tour.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BruceMirken » Mon May 15, 2006 11:58 pm

After living with the album for a week, it's only grown on me. There are plenty of rough edges, for sure -- a line or two that doesn't really scan but that he stuffs into the melody anyway, a strained vocal here and there -- but somehow that stuff adds to the effect. What Young has created is a truly breathtaking song cycle that captures so many of the mixed emotions of war. He's every bit as heartfelt singing about the soldiers and their loved ones ("Families," "Flags of Freedom") as he is denouncing Bush. Bravo.
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to Music - Other Artists