"John Henry"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/homepage.html/ ... 66-4112907

Have a look...it's very good!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:56 am

I've read a few articles about this album. Looks interesting. He's starting to pick up the pace of his releases. (He just released the brilliant Devils and Dust last year - quite different than the usual 3 to 5 year gap between albums he used to have) He's also starting to fall into the Neil Young/Elvis Costello/Van Morrison pattern of working with several different bands and genres as well. I think that's kind of cool. After this I'll bet he's back with the E-Street Band for the next album.

It will be interesting to see what the set list is going to be like for this tour. He's going to be on the road with a completely different group of musicians. I wonder if the set list will be all covers, or if he will do some of his own material???

Regardless, I doubt the tour comes here to Dallas because he was just here last year and didn't sell out. (Although he came close - and it was an excellent show. Just Bruce)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:22 am

This album is unbelievable. It's the best thing Springsteen has released since Tunnel of Love IMHO. It's so different than anything else he's ever done. The band he has playing with him is incredible - the banjos, trombones, accordians, washboard players, etc. It's quite an uplifing album in places. I didn't really know what to expect - I thought it was going to be a really serious folk album like The Ghost of Tom Joad. I was completely wrong - it's the liveliest music he's ever recorded. I think all of the tracks were recorded in one or two takes and the spontaneity really shows. Quite a few of the songs are really up-tempo. A lot of them are spirituals and have a gospel feel.

It would be really cool to catch this 12-piece ensemble live. I've read more about what the set lists are going to be like - apparently they are going to change the set list every night and include different folk songs and spirituals each night.

I'm tempted to catch their performance next weekend at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritiage Festival. :idea: I've just got to convince a couple of friends to make the 7-hour treck with me. :?
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:25 am

Great! I'll have to pick that one up then! :D

oh and good luck in trying to get your friends to go I'm sure it would be a great show.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Genuine_Indian_Guru wrote:

oh and good luck in trying to get your friends to go I'm sure it would be a great show.

Looks like I convinced one of them! I think it will be a great opportunity to be a part of the rebirth of New Orleans. Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint are playing right before Springsteen on the same stage. 8)

I'm tempted to go the following weekend, too. Paul Simon, Fats Domino, and Irma Thomas are all going to be performing on the same stage. :P That means my concert budget will be shot for the rest of the year, but it would be cool to witness something so historic. 8) The great thing is tickets are only $30 per day. That's quite a bargain to see Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen the same night on the same stage IMHO. :) The worst cost will be gas, but with two people splitting it maybe it won't be so bad.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:19 am

You lucky, lucky bugger!

Why do I live so far removed from great entertainment?!!? :cry:
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists