How big was Badfinger?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:57 am

"2 of 3" Said : The really smart, good looking people in the world knew Badfinger were scary brilliant :wink: , but their timing in the world of music couldn't have been worse. It's too bad somebody like George Martin didn't pull Pete Ham aside and somehow get into his head that he could be one of the great songwriters in music.I can't think of another person with that much natural talent, who was so insecure he had no idea.

"Guru" Replied: I wish I was smart and goodlooking! If I only knew that the only thing that seperated me from the Brilliance of Badfinger was a plastic surgeon and tutor away! :wink:

I've heard many times that former Rolling Stone , Mick Talor was much the same as Pete Ham in the fact of their importance as extraordinary talent.
I guess even Rockin Rollers get "human" sometimes too!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:01 am

I agree with 2 of 3, Ham was indeed a great songwriter, very, very similar to McCartney in a lot of ways which is why I guess I like almost every single song he's written. Two of their best albums Straight Up and No Dice I just recently found out were engineering by Geoff Emerick.

The were at the right place at the right time to hookup with Apple and get their break and then being in the constant shawdow of the Beatles but after leaving Apple with record company demands and expectations were just too much. Why anyone would want to take their own life is so difficult to understand but no one but two members did that.

To be absolutely honest I have never put a Stones or Dire Straights album on to listen in fact I own neither and can't name one Dire Straights album but know they had one hit "I want my MTV" where Sting is singing, Money for Nothin ? There is somthing about a Pete Ham song and Badfinger collectively that just grabs my ear. The melodies, pounding piano, guitar licks and hooks, harmonies and so on. Like I said earlier that describes a lot of Paul's music as well.
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions