Peter Gabriel Music and Concerts

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Peter Gabriel Music and Concerts

Postby Paul_Fan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:09 pm

Whats your favorite album, concert, song, Etc.

Album for me: US or Secret World Live
Concert: POV tour
Song: Steam or Burn You Up, Burn You Down.

What about you???
These are the days of miracle and wonder....
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:33 pm

It's hard for me to pick a favorite album of his. I loved the Us album, but So is such a perfect record. (As is Security) So I guess I'm going to have to go with So.

My favorite tour would have to be the Secret World Live tour. I think that was the peak of his live performances. The show here in Dallas was just astonishing.

Favorite song? That's hard, too. I guess I'll have to go with the obvious "In Your Eyes."
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_Fan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:15 pm

cool anyone else like to comment
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:41 pm

As seems to be the norm, I'm going to have to agree with mtm. I'd say "So" is best. He has a couple of classics, but "So" just stands apart. Its filled with great songs, and reminds me of a time in my life that means a lot to me.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:09 pm

So and Us....in that order
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_Fan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:22 pm

Yes i agree that SO is his best, but to me US is the best because it shows a different side of Peter that i think has never been seen again....

Has anyone heard of the song "The Tower That Ate People"
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ANGRY » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:25 am

omigosh ! where to begin...1st...favorite album....very tough but i would not at all be cheating to say it would be a dead heat tie between "So", "Us" and "Up", which i see as kind of a trilogy (actually hope he continues this long tale) and PG (1), followed very, very closely by PG (3) and (4): he seems to be at his songwriting best when he is working out some personal demons and these albums are littered with songs that are about as personal as any i've seen by anyone, anytime.
favorite live album has to be Plays Live..it's the only era i saw him in live, just before 'so' hit and just after. and it's when i got turned onto his solo stuff...i still play that set as much as anything.
song...again, too hard...solsbury hill, waiting for the big one, here comes the flood, family snapshot, not one of us, biko, the family and the fishing net (anyone get the impression he's got relationship problems....galore !?!), don't give up, mercy street, we do what we're told, come talk to me, washing of the water, digging in the dirt (aren't thuse two great back to back ?), secret world, shaking the tree, darkness, i grieve, signal to noise...
can't wait for a new set...has anyone bought that double, white cover set, put out last year or so, looks like another repackaged hits, but with several extra songs...it's pricey, but is it worth it if i have most of the tracks ?
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Paul_Fan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:37 pm

ANGRY wrote:omigosh ! where to begin...1st...favorite album....very tough but i would not at all be cheating to say it would be a dead heat tie between "So", "Us" and "Up", which i see as kind of a trilogy (actually hope he continues this long tale) and PG (1), followed very, very closely by PG (3) and (4): he seems to be at his songwriting best when he is working out some personal demons and these albums are littered with songs that are about as personal as any i've seen by anyone, anytime.
favorite live album has to be Plays Live..it's the only era i saw him in live, just before 'so' hit and just after. and it's when i got turned onto his solo stuff...i still play that set as much as anything.
song...again, too hard...solsbury hill, waiting for the big one, here comes the flood, family snapshot, not one of us, biko, the family and the fishing net (anyone get the impression he's got relationship problems....galore !?!), don't give up, mercy street, we do what we're told, come talk to me, washing of the water, digging in the dirt (aren't thuse two great back to back ?), secret world, shaking the tree, darkness, i grieve, signal to noise...
can't wait for a new set...has anyone bought that double, white cover set, put out last year or so, looks like another repackaged hits, but with several extra songs...it's pricey, but is it worth it if i have most of the tracks ?

YES!!! i bought the set but it has tracks like Burn You Up which i dont think is on any other i think. That is an awesome set. I'm looking for a new album to come out late 06-early 07 because if you notice since secret world there had been kind of a pattern going on like a 2 to 3 year span between the tracks.
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ANGRY » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:57 am

cool...i noticed there were quite a few, 4,5 or 6 that were not on any reg. issue, just was wondering if those tracks were worth the extra $ since i have all the rest...last time i dropped in on his site, they were talking about an imminent new disc...but, they're always onto that...as long as the wait isn't like between 'so' and 'us' (6 tyrs !)..or, worse 'us' and 'up' (10 yrs !!)...
what did anyone think of "ovo"...i am finding it, still, the hardest nut to crack...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Paul_Fan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm

Well the only real new tracks are Burn You Up, Burn You Down and I think The Tower that Ate People., BUT there are some remixes of some songs like Growning Up, Steam, Blood of Eden, More Than This, And a live version of Downside Up off the Growing Up Tour. Songs like Slegdhammer and Don't give up have the beginnings cut out and what I mean by that is that the little horns or w/e that lead into Sledgehammer are cut out. It is not the version off SO. Don't Give Up dosen't have its oringinal beginning either. It starts when the bass kicks in.

The only thing I have against it, the album is called HIT right. Well the real title should have been HIT AND MISS because on the 2nd disc it says right on the front MISS. LOL

AND In Your Eyes is on the second disc which I don't like.

But all and all a great disc a must for all PG fans. 4.8/5.0 stars.
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists