Sir Paul Mccartney Salutes Peter & Gordon Reunion

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby EddieV » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:10 pm

ON THE SCENE WGO EXCLUSIVE

Sir Paul McCartney, who custom-composed four of the nine Top-40 hits recorded by legendary 60s duo Peter & Gordon, issued a special message on Saturday on the occasion of their first full-scale reunion in 39 years.

Peter Asher and Gordon Waller gave their reunion concert in front of over 3,000 fans crammed into the Grand Ballroom of the Crowne Plaza hotel at Giant Stadium just outside New York City. The concert was the headline attraction of the 32nd Beatles fan convention, held annually in NY since 1974. (Originally known as "Beatlefest", now known as "The Fest For Beatles Fans.")

The duo was introduced on stage by one of their friends, humorist and Sirius radio host Martin Lewis, who has emceed the conventions since 1992, and who helped organize the reunion.

When the duo arrived on stage to sing their 12-song set (backed by a 9-piece band comprising top session men) Lewis surprised them and the audience by reading out a special message he had just received from Sir Paul in London. (Lewis had casually mentioned the upcoming reunion to McCartney while they were chatting backstage at the Grammys in February, and McCartney had expressed delight at the news.)

In his message, McCartney drew reference to "A World Without Love", the breakthrough song he wrote for them in 1964, that became a worldwide Number One hit. He expressed the hope that their reunion would "help to make a world without love into a love-filled planet." The surprise message delighted both the singers, and the audience, who responded with a prolonged roar of approval.

Peter & Gordon received a rapturous reception during their 50-minute show and left the stage to a thunderous standing ovation. Among the hits they performed were all four songs McCartney specially wrote for them, "A World Without Love," "Nobody I Know," "I Don’t Want To See You Again" and "Woman", and other hits such as "I Go To Pieces," "True Love Ways" and "Lady Godiva."

The duo is now contemplating undertaking additional select live appearances and have agreed to star in a PBS pledge-week concert special featuring legendary 60s performers.

The full text of Sir Paul McCartney’s message was:

What the world needs now is Peter & Gordon to sing their songs and remind us all of the fab years they are from.

I’m very glad to hear that they have got together after these many moons and are going to help to make a world without love into a love-filled planet.

- Paul McCartney
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:02 pm

That's cool....I'm sure that would have been a very nice concert. A very warm audience....great players too.

Good for Peter and Gordon!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions