Phil Spector

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby james1985 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:47 pm

i think spector did a good job on Plastic ono band and ATMP, but went downhill from there with john's stuff. i've been wondering lately why there is so much saxophone in John's solo work. I can't think of a John Beatles song (Apart from You Know My Name...) with a saxophone in it. But they are everywhere in his solo stuff!!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby funkbeatle » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:59 pm

I ever felt John liked sax playing. Not only him, Paul´s Band On The Run has great sax solos as on Bluebird and Mrs Vanderbilt. George frequently included sax playing on his albums as on This Song, You, even Ringo did the same on Photograph, Oh My My, Goodnight Vienna, just mentioning their most known songs.
funkbeatle

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:24 pm

John was working with one of the greatest sax players of all time, King Curtis. I can't blame him for getting a little carried away with it. King Curtis played with Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, and tons of others. He was sadly murdered not long after the Imagine album was recorded.

There is a box set I've been dying to get my hands on - it's a limited edition 4 CD box set from a series of concerts he did with Aretha Franklin at the Fillmore West in 1970 or so. (Called Don't Fight the Feeling) Rhino only made about 5,000 copies, and now they are all gone. :cry: They are being sold on Ebay now for $300. :evil: Maybe I can find a pirate copy. :wink:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby funkbeatle » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:29 pm

Bobby Keys is one of great sax players that had worked with John(as well as with Ringo).
funkbeatle

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Yes, I agree Bobby Keys is great. He's perfect for the Stones. The solo on Brown Sugar is just classic. He was influenced quite a bit by King Curtis. King Curtis was on all of those early R&B records that the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. listened to. I put him right up there with Maceo Parker.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:26 am

thanks for the info!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 am

early 70's sax explosion....everyone and his dog was saxing the crap out of their stuff....if you listen close enough ...you'll start to think the back-up band our favorite artists used was SNL "Not Ready For Prime Time Band"

its not anyone fault really.....just the sound of the time.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions