Does McCartney do to much charity??

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

Postby chris » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:15 pm

I thought I read years back, that he frequently gave nice sums of cash donations, with the agreement that his name would be kept out of it. He prefered annonimity (is that a word?) The thought was that if it got around that he had cash to give away to charitable organizations, many of them would be bothering him for donations. This way, he could give to whomever he liked, feel a little warmish in the tum-tum about what he did, and nobody knows anything. Its not like he needs the publicity.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Henry The Horse » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:19 pm

silent - Yiddish

This is a Yiddish word based on the German word "stumm" which means silent. He can keep his mouth shut. Maintain confidentiality.
I have lived in Sussex/Kent all my life & the word STUM is used a lot, meaning keeping your mouth shut, interesting that I had no idea it's origin
Henry The Horse

Postby mi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:39 am

Interesting, it means "shut up" in Hebrew, too.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby admiral_halsey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:15 am

"Stum" is something we use in England occasionally too, where it means the same thing as it does in German, so "keeping stum" is just keeping silent.

But anyway, I don't think Paul does too much charity work. He chooses which causes he supports and really does care about them, which is good. In particular, you can tell he's extremely passionate about the whole animal rights thing. Becuase he's so famous, anything he publicly supports raises huge amounts of publicity, so this is definitely a good thing for the charities he supports. Also, he's a grown man so he can do what he likes really. I don't think he does too much though, he's not as in the public eye where charities are concerned as much as someone like Bono or Bob Geldof.

Ram on!
admiral_halsey

Re: Does McCartney do to much charity??

Postby Ian Iachimo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 pm

Surp Awl does indeed do his bit for charity. One of his main concerns is the Nordoff Music Therapy Foundation (Silver Cleff) which provides the service of musical therapy for children and young adults with a learning difficulty. This is based on premises, equipment and other costs which are extemely high. He also visits occasionally. \M/
Ian Iachimo

Previous

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues