Paul and the Seal Hunt.

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Mike

My email notification on this topic just sent me over 400 emails on the same post. How did that happen?
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:05 pm

I guess what I'm saying is yes I agree with the principal that there are very more important atrocities going on every minute on this planet but we are individuals who do not have similar priorities. You can't clumb Paul and Heather into the whole debate against any animal killing. They have clearly stated recently that they agree people eat meat. Paul's preference is not to. That does not mean you can automatically categorize him to the equality of say, PETA on every issue they have.

I cannot see Paul ever protesting cattle or poultry farms etc, unless they are being treated poorly. Like the letter he wrote to KFC. He wasn't and isn't trying to close them down as some extremists are.

I refer to:
http://www.macca-central.com/macca-arch ... -28-02.htm

http://www.macca-central.com/macca-news ... fm?ID=1348

His view is simple, just because your going to kill them for food, doesn't mean they should not be treated humanely until that time. Paul is quoted saying "If KFC paid for dogs or cats to be treated the way these unfortunate chickens are treated, they could be charged with cruelty to animals"

Paul says in a letter to McDonalds, If McDonald’s corporate policy, that “humane treatment of animals is an integral part of a world class supplier system,” is to have meaning, then the corporation must adopt international farmed animal welfare standards.

So he is not grouped with those who want to close down all slaughter houses. That's the point I'm trying to make.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Yes, I see...we do agree then. :) My mini-rant was aimed more at the many many posts I've read(from lots of sources) that go on and on about those nasty Canadian butchers etc etc...not necessarly Paul and Heather's views. I guess I didn't express that very well in the original post. Sorry about that. :oops:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:18 am

i'm wondering..are the laws up there in canada somewhat different than down here, as we have had a total ban on third trimester abortions, except in cases of health/life of the mother or due to extreme, untenable abnormalities in fetal growth...we do not, and have not allowed elective abortions for years in the third trimester...contrary to some political activists. i also don't know of any abortion providers that are in it for the $$...kinda low blow there, wasn't it.
and, what does that have to do with the issue at hand.
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Angry.....I don't really know what the difference is in the abortion laws...here it's the first trimester, though in some cases after 16 weeks.

We shouldn't be going here though, so lets "let it be"

I see now that Morrissey has left Canada off his tour to protest the seal hunt. That's his call of course, but he shouldn't be lumping all of Canada into his protest.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:32 pm

That's exactly why I hate it when musicians get involved with crap with like this. Does he honestly think he's doing the right thing by being a whiney little *female doggy*?
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:34 pm

The obvious answer is yes. Anything Paul does gets massive media attention and this helps any cause he is involved in tremendously.
Mike

Postby ANGRY » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:01 am

on another thread, macca said he wouldn't ever go to china . i was really not sure how i felt about that. going to china is not nescessarily an endorsement of their practises, and, if they actually let him in, it would make a great opportunity for him to travel the country and make his point well known...
the same goes for morrisey.
striking canada from a tour, over this issue is absurd. he would do his cause better by going, doing interviews and explaining how he feels to his fans during his venues.
he is, in fact, making everyone who is interested in his work pay for what he sees as an aggregious act by some. and, i'm sure, he's not going to win over any converts in canada by snubbing them...seems foolhardy and rather disengenious.
do you think paul would skip over coming to canada, because of this issue...wouldn't he then have to boycott america for its chicken farms, cattle ranches..in a way...it is all the same thing...one should never lump a whole group of people together just because a few act wrongly.
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Highamster » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:45 pm

The obvious answer is yes. Anything Paul does gets massive media attention and this helps any cause he is involved in tremendously.

Yeah definatly. By snubbing the fans it's justified. Screw the fact they helped get him where he is today, that doesn't matter because Macca doesn't agree with the laws of the land.

on another thread, macca said he wouldn't ever go to china . i was really not sure how i felt about that. going to china is not nescessarily an endorsement of their practises, and, if they actually let him in, it would make a great opportunity for him to travel the country and make his point well known...

That's what I was hinting at. I lost a fair bit of respect for Macca and Morrissey after these decisions. More so on Maccas though since the people their don't even have decent rights yet he's feeling the need to push fans their aside just because cats and dogs are killed their.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Cologne girl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:39 pm

Come to think of it, you can't actually tour any country these days - there's something wrong in most of them, especially when it comes to human rights - someone somewhere mentioned Russia and their behaviour (or mis-behaviour) in Chechnya (I'm not sure about the spelling here)... I can't help agreeing with Highamster here - going there and speaking out would be more effective.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues