Current Artists - Nirvana - Eminem

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Current Artists - Nirvana - Eminem

Postby Chris Speers » Sat May 11, 2002 1:19 pm

Doesn't the Nirvana squabbling remind you of the Beatle legal hassles that denied fans good music and box sets for close to 30 years. Courtney Love is worse than Yoko because she most likely played a major role in that poor guy's suicide. She is an absolute nightmare

Eminem - i don't like his slandering gays and minorities. But, the guy is brilliant at what he does. The new video reminds me of some of the cheeky, funny humour that made the Beatles hilarious. I mean hate what he does but the guy is funny as all hell. Plus, he respresents everything rap and rock n roll are about: no rules, no boundaries, and just straight up chaos. He has really tapped into some funny stuff in the video (dancing in a cave like OSama, playing a superhero trying to stop a kid listening to his record, dissing the pretensious moby). Very funny stuff.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby airdog » Sat May 11, 2002 1:44 pm

Just an opinion, but I think Beck is far more interesting and fun and smart than Nirvana
or Eminem. As an old-timer, I think the little feller has that sense of playful eclecticism
and risk-taking (the cat does funk, bluegrass, etc) that escapes most acts these days.
But I will concede that eminem is a nut and a real pisser! Cobain--too in love with his problems (whatever the hell they were).

Coutney Hole makes Yoko seem almost acceptable.

Edited by - airdog on 05/11/2002 15:06:00
airdog

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 11, 2002 2:42 pm

Being that I'm both a huge Nirvana and Beck fan, I felt I needed to chime in. First of all, I met Beck a few years ago after a concert, and he's the COOLEST guy you'd ever wanna meet. Extremely humble and soft-spoken. Me and my girlfriend even got a picture and autographs with him. As for his music, Beck is a genius. I'm not too into the turntable rap/rock stuff, but in my humble opinion, Beck is the exception. He has a vision that far exceeds most of today's artists. I wasn't as thrilled with his last album, but it was still good. His breakthrough album, 'Odelay', is a masterpeice. (By the way, P. Mac said that he liked Beck on the '97 VH1 Town Hall Meeting.)

As for Nirvana, I can't say enough about them. In my opinion, the most important and influential group to come out of the last 15 years. After Nirvana, almost every other band was a rip-off. Kurt Cobain, wallowing in his misery or not, was a genius. I know it's hard for a lot of people to think of Cobain as a genius, because they just see the exterior (his trashy, dirty look, his drug addiction, etc.) But if you look past all that, you will see that he was a master. I can't think of anybody who's ever listened to the 'Nevermind' album, and not been blown away. Kurt was often compared to a modern John Lennon. At first I thought it was baloney, but then I saw why. Cobain's lyrics in particular, are very Lennonesque. On the surface, they seem to make no sense at all, just a bunch of gibberish. But you have to look closely. He did a lot of genius play on words, much like Lennon. And most importantly, just listen to the songs. Cobain was a master melody maker. I think of him as the "McCarntey of alternative rock." The man could create the most awesome melodies, that never get old. If anyone thinks Kurt Cobain was just a depressed, whiny, dirty, heroin addict....then they're not looking closely enough.

As for the Nirvana legal battle, it's an absolute mess. I agree with you, Chris. It is very much like The Beatles' legal battles. Me, like other Nirvana fans, are dying for that box set. In my opinion, it is definitely Courtney Love that is holding it up. I think she's a nut. Dave Grohl and Krist Novaselic actually asked the judge to order a psychological examination for her, to prove she's crazy. But the judge recently refused. I could go on and on and on and on about Courtney Love and this legal battle, but I'm not. (Partly, because I don't feel like hearing from Shinestar.) But all I'm gonna say is, it's a shame. And fans are being denied good music because of his widow who had nothing to do with the band's music.

As for Eminem, I have mixed feelings as well. I am ALL FOR free speech, and AGAINST censorship. However, some of Eminem's lyrics are just totally vile. On the other hand, he is a brilliant writer, and I respect his right to speak, write, sing, play what he wants.
Ram1

Postby airdog » Sat May 11, 2002 3:04 pm

Ram, I agree that Cobain was a great songwriter (Shirley and Roger feel much the same), and almost every other so-called "grunge" band was riding his coattails. Do you think Coutney Hole pushed the button on him? Isn't the dude who could back this up dead as a result of being hit by a train, or something? Wasn't Shirley one of Vince Foster's drinking buddies?

Edited by - airdog on 05/11/2002 15:08:21
airdog

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 11, 2002 3:36 pm

Well, let me put it this way....I think there's a strong possibility that there may have been foul play involved in Cobain's death. A man by the name of Tom Grant, who is a former Los Angeles County Sheriff's detective,and was also hired by Courtney herself initially to find the then missing Cobain, has been following the case ever since it happened. Let me direct you to his site...http://www.cobaincase.com/
Some people may think he's a nut, but from what I've read on his investigation in the past, a lot of stuff makes sense. And a lot of things about Kurt's "suicide" just don't add up. Among a list of other things, I saw a doctor on tv a while back who was close to the case, (I actually think it may have been the chief medical examiner), and he said that with the amount of heroin in Cobain's body at the time of his death, (which was like x times the lethal limit), there was no possible way he could see that Kurt would have the strength to pick up a rifle and shoot it. But that's just the beginning of it. I don't wanna sound like those kooky "Paul is dead" people, but I do think there's a high possibility of foul play in Kurt Cobain's death.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 14, 2002 2:58 pm

I'm not into Nirvana myself, but I read somewhere a while back about Dave Grohl wanting Courteney Love to undergo psychoanalysis, or something like that . . . if she's nuts, it sounds like it could explain a lot. In any case, how come she has such a big say? Does she own the rights now after Cobain's "suicide"?
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Tue May 14, 2002 3:01 pm

That's what the courts are trying to figure out now. See, Courtney feels that since she's Kurt's widow, she's entitled. Even though she had nothing to do with their music.

Edited by - Ram1 on 05/14/2002 15:02:27
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 14, 2002 3:03 pm

Well, if she had nothing to do with the music, then she shouldn't be entitled! Simple as that. Why do people always try and complicate the issue in legal battles? If you tried hard enough, you could spin an argument that black is white and win your case . . .
Liam OSM

Postby scrodfish256 » Tue May 14, 2002 3:04 pm

reminds me of someone else. hmmmm...
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 14, 2002 3:06 pm

I'm guessing you mean Yoko here?
Liam OSM