Book of the Moment

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Postby Rene » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:40 am

mi wrote:
ANGRY wrote:stephen king cell

Oh please, this dude is insane. He ruined my life with his horrid "Pet Semetary" (shiver...)

Me too... I lost alot of sleep during high school reading Stephen King. However, I do think he is an amazing writer even if what he writes is scarier than hell. :twisted:
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:46 am

I didn't read the book, actually, I only saw the movie, alone at 2.00 AM...it was years ago and I'm having nightmares to this day.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:10 pm

ANGRY wrote:oooohhhh...chris, i am somewhat envious...i still haven't been able to bring myself to finish it..(i was about 1/3 into it). in fact, i've dropped that one like a radioactive potato...i just see, in my minds eye, a direction it is going, and i am just not sure i'll like what's at the end of that twisted rainbow..(and i'm not refering to few deaths, either)..do you have a favorite book out of the whole series ?
mine would be the middle 3/4's of wizard and glass...just sublime from the moment they go back into the tale of rolands past...gut wrenching, page turning, awesome storytelling !
i didn't think he could top II, then KNEW he couldn't top III...but, that middle passage of IV...ohmigosh !

I'm not sure I can tell you what my fav is, because it has all sort of morphed into one giant Lord of the Rings type story. I was so impressed by how it ended though, I actually started reading it again. I'm on volume I, the Gunslinger. ANGRY, you have to finish it. I don't think the ending pleased everybody, but it HAD to end this way. I even see clues to how it ends by re-reading the whole story.

If I were pressed, I would have to say the best book is one of the last three (sorry to be so lame about not picking one) but it was obvious that they were all written consecutively. Let me know what you think. I promise, you will be very affected by the end. Good or bad, I don't know. But affected. I re-read the end about seven different times to make sure I fully understood it. Perfect, just perfect.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:27 am

no worries, big c...i've already decided to...ah...bite the bullet and finish it as soon as i'm done with 'cell' (which is pretty dang spiffy !)
Flashie'll have to wait !

i have a pretty good feel for where it is going...i'm just not sure if i can take it...i just gotta get past my own delusions and let him tell his tale...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:56 pm

Let me know what you think A.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ddr » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:04 pm

Somebody To Love? Grace Slick Autobiography

Anyone read this? Love the part about her sweet potato.

ddr
ddr

Postby theDingle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Recently read Joe Klein's Woody Guthrie: A Life. Very enjoyable, gave me a definite jones for some Guthrie CDs. A protest folk singer with true street cred. I was surprised to learn that he and Leadbelly ran a lot together, they were good friends.

Leadbelly himself has had an incredible influence on rock music. I can hear him in some of Jimmie Page's licks.

The PBS series American Masters is supposed to be broadcasting a Woody Guthrie documentary Thursday I think, I'm definitely gonna check it out.

I also looked up Rising Son Records on-line, they are now producing Arlo's back catalogue.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Highamster » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:52 pm

Star Wars: Republic Commando - Hard Contact

A very well paced and interesting book that I hate having to put down, quite unusual for a Star Wars book as well since it's not only wrote by a British person, but also a Woman.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:52 pm

writer Stephen King has a massive seven volume epic The Dark Tower series that, oh golly, i'm actually reading for a second time. if anyone has a few months to kill...they should try it.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BruceMirken » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:56 pm

"Mark Twain: A Life," by Ron Powers. As one who writes for a living, Twain has always been a hero -- for his wit, his brilliant economy of language and his willingness to p*** people off.

"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to the eagle putting its talons on any other land."
--Mark Twain
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to Books, magazines, etc.