The "New" Cars with Todd Rundgren

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

The "New" Cars with Todd Rundgren

Postby maccastheman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:14 pm

Has anybody else heard about this? Todd Rundgren is going to be touring with two original members of the Cars as the "New Cars" this summer. I love Todd Rundgren, and I liked the original Cars, but I don't know what to think about this.

Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes are the only two original members of the Cars that are going to be on this tour. Without Ric Ocasek it just seems kind of strange. (Not to mention Ben Orr, one of the original vocalists who died of cancer a few years ago - he sang their biggest hit, "Drive.") I'm surprised somebody of Todd Rundgren's artistic stature would agree to do this.

I saw Todd Rundgren on his "Liars" tour, and I thought he was great. (Even though he only did one hit, "Hello It's Me." I guess if you're only going to do one, that's the one to do.)

They will be touring with Blondie. I saw Blondie here in Dallas about two years ago, and I wasn't that impressed. I love Blondie, but Debby Harry just didn't sound that great. (Especially on "Atomic" - she could barely hit the notes) I think it's time for her to give it a rest.

There's a rumor that the Pretenders are going to join this tour. If that's the case, I would like to check it out because I've never seen the Pretenders and I love Chrissy Hynde.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:54 pm

mtm, I was never a big Cars fan, but this sounds interesting. I am a big Todd fan, the dude is a daredevil, never one afraid to come from left field and shake things up a bit.

I saw Elliot about 8-9 years ago with, believe it or not, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, CHOKE!! He ably provided the spot-on guitar licks, Creedence-style, of the missing John Fogerty.

So it all sounds like a collaboration that will work well. Not much for Blondie, but the Pretenders got some decent cred. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby RickStark79 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Give me a break! No Ben Orr or Ric Ocasek equals NO CARS!!

Tood Rundgren is cool, but what does he need the also-rans from the Cars for!?

What's next?? Kiss without Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons??
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby amazedbypaul » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:14 pm

I saw "the Car's" back in the 80's. I did not know Ben Orr passed away.
They were one of the tightest sounding band's I've ever seen.
I love Todd Rundgren alot seeing him and the Pretenders too would be worth going to see.
amazedbypaul
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:53 am

right on ! rick !!
what IS next...yeesh...

...next thing y'know...the Who 'll put out an album WITHOUT Moon AND entwistle !!!

i'm ready for that Wings reunion...sans paul and linda, of course !
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:03 pm

I noticed this tour isn't selling well. I didn't get tickets, that's for sure. (It turns out the Pretenders weren't on the bill after all. That's the only reason I would have gone.)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists