Book of the Moment

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Book of the Moment

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:48 pm

For me it's still Dream Boogie - The Triumph of Sam Cooke. It was really cool to hear Van Morrison sing "Real Real Gone" the other night, especially the "Sam Cooke is on the radio..." line. 8)

I know dying young always adds to the legend, but Sam Cooke is just a great 20th Century American story. (Like Buddy Holly, Elvis Presely, and Otis Redding) Such a giant. In fact, I'm surprised there hasn't been a film about him yet.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:07 am

MTM - Sam Cooke is so solid. If you have a chance to listen to or get Sam Cooke Live At the Harlem Square Club - wow it's incredible!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Rene » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:52 am

It isn't musical or music related, but I am loving anything by Leo Tolstoy. I haven't read War and Peace yet, but am in love with Anna Karenina. Still reading it though.

Getting ready to read "State Of Fear", by Michael Crichton. Anybody read it yet? I know it is a best seller, but that doesnt always mean I would like it! :?
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Paperback Writer wrote:MTM - Sam Cooke is so solid. If you have a chance to listen to or get Sam Cooke Live At the Harlem Square Club - wow it's incredible!

I heard that when I was about 12 years old. (As well as Live at the Copa) I liked it even then. I still remember his version of the Tennessee Waltz from the later. Fantastic.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:34 am

stephen king cell
next up is the new george macdonald fraser Flashman book...haven't read one of those in years
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby esto » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:53 pm

Johnny Cash - Autobiography, after the Walk the line movie i had to get this one.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:51 pm

Rene wrote:Getting ready to read "State Of Fear", by Michael Crichton. Anybody read it yet? I know it is a best seller, but that doesnt always mean I would like it! :?

Pretty good, most of Crichton's stuff is. Sort of political though. It seemed to me that the book was full of crap in spots, but enjoyable nontheless.

just finished reading the 7 volume Dark Tower series from Stephen King. Very long, although arguably the finest ending of his long career. A most satisfying read, indeed. If you have 6 months that is.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:37 pm

I'm not much for fiction except for comic books, lol. I've started Eric Rauchway's Murdering McKinley, very interesting, and it's also one of my favorite eras of American history.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby ANGRY » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:20 am

oooohhhh...chris, i am somewhat envious...i still haven't been able to bring myself to finish it..(i was about 1/3 into it). in fact, i've dropped that one like a radioactive potato...i just see, in my minds eye, a direction it is going, and i am just not sure i'll like what's at the end of that twisted rainbow..(and i'm not refering to few deaths, either)..do you have a favorite book out of the whole series ?
mine would be the middle 3/4's of wizard and glass...just sublime from the moment they go back into the tale of rolands past...gut wrenching, page turning, awesome storytelling !
i didn't think he could top II, then KNEW he couldn't top III...but, that middle passage of IV...ohmigosh !
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:13 am

ANGRY wrote:stephen king cell

Oh please, this dude is insane. He ruined my life with his horrid "Pet Semetary" (shiver...)
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to Books, magazines, etc.