Paul and the Seal Hunt.

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

Paul and the Seal Hunt.

Postby iclubbabyseals » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm

Today Sir Paul arrived in my home province of Newfoundland on his way to Nova Scotia. Him and his wife are to protest the annual seal hunt that takes place here in Eastern Canada.

Well, Paul, **** you. It is a way of life. You don't rag on people for fishing, now do you? Yeah, didn't think so.
iclubbabyseals

Postby Highamster » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:18 pm

Sometimes I think where he places his prioritys on these things are a little warped, But I see nothing wrong with him protesting seal hunts.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby HeyJude » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:46 pm

A way of life... and a way of death for the more unfortunate, eh? :roll:
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby iclubbabyseals » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:01 pm

It provides employment for over 14,000 fishermen. I see no difference is this and fishing. Either ay is killing a living thing. That doesn't really make it right, but you have to understand that this is how people feed their families. The seal skin can be sold for coats or whatever, and the meat can either be kept by the hunter for food, or can be sold as well.

Very few, if any, people join the hunt now a days. It is mostly people who do not have an education, or very little and have relied on the ocean and surrouding areas to make a living for all of their lives.

You have to understand that making people stop this seal hunt is like telling a doctor that he can not practice anymore. It is their job- all they know.

I can see why people would be upset or offended, but they are not the only animal that is being killed on this Earth.

I am an animal lover myself, and of course I do not like to see anything being killed, but you need to be rational sometimes.
iclubbabyseals

Postby Cologne girl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 pm

I do see a difference between seal hunting and fishing - fishing is done with the aim of providing food. Fish is among of the healthiest food made of dead animals, and fish, before they are caught, at least enjoy some sort of "normal" life (if they don't happen to live near the coast of Galicia, Spain, for instance) and are not kept under infra-animal conditions, force-fed, etc. So they are also among the least objectionable and most natural foodstuffs made of dead animals (if you disregard the lead, cadmium, etc. they are said to contain due to human "achievements").

Seal hunting - correct me if I'm misinformed on any of this - is not done with the aim of providing food (i.e. a basic human need), but with the aim of providing posh clothing. Plus the seals are not shot or killed rapidly, but beaten to death so as not to damage their precious skin (and the hunter's wallet). Plus seals are mammals and thus probably have a more acute sense of pain. Damn it, don't tell me seal hunters can't get another job. Then I suppose you'll also support bullfighting, claiming the poor bullfighters "can't get another job". And to compare a seal hunter's job to that of a doctor... GIVE ME A BREAK. We all know doctors do a valuable job (if they do it well) and are desperately needed. Their profession is to save and preserve lives. The seal hunters' job is to kill and thereby provide posh articles which are in no way necessary - cotton, wool and synthetic fibres do the job nicely.

The question about Macca's priorities is a different one. Everyone's got to sort that out for themselves. I suppose if I were in his position, I'd be more active on behalf of starving, homeless and abused children - but that's just me. If he's particularly concerned about animal rights, that's OK; someone's got to stand up for them as well. As far as the seal hunt issue goes, I'm 100% with him - thumbs up, man!!
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby fatbasturd » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:49 pm

This will sum up the feelings of Atlantic Canada in short I have no Ill feeling toward Paul......but he should take his protest and his fame and money to where it is wanted ...and that would not be in my province....this is a political statment about how wealth and fame can be used to try and pressure goverments and it is pure and simple bullshit. When a private indivduals clout is used in this manner it is a disgrace...thank you for your time and enjoy the art work
fatbasturd

Postby Robair » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:58 pm

Cologne girl wrote:Seal hunting - correct me if I'm misinformed on any of this - is not done with the aim of providing food (i.e. a basic human need), but with the aim of providing posh clothing. Plus the seals are not shot or killed rapidly, but beaten to death so as not to damage their precious skin (and the hunter's wallet).

You can fry up a 'flipper' for sure. They are also harvested to keep them from overpopulating. You ban the seal hunt, then the seals overpopulate and eat all the cod. No more cod so the seals starve to death. Now there's no more cod or seals. The fishermen are now out of both jobs.

That's very simplified but you get the general idea with the whole circle of life kinda thing there, right?

Cologne girl wrote: Damn it, don't tell me seal hunters can't get another job. Then I suppose you'll also support bullfighting, claiming the poor bullfighters "can't get another job". And to compare a seal hunter's job to that of a doctor... GIVE ME A BREAK. We all know doctors do a valuable job (if they do it well) and are desperately needed. Their profession is to save and preserve lives.

And provide people with tummy tucks and face lifts. Not to mention nice, fake, ta-ta's

They are fishermen, when seal population booms out of control, stocks of fish decline. I wonder if you would have the same opinion of a rancher who's herd is being devasted by over population of wolves.

The seal hunt is regulated very well, and the seal population is very healthy.
Robair

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:07 pm

I think I'm on the wrong planet here - and I haven't had any brain-distorting substances. Can someone please come to my emotional rescue? Come on, there must be some more people suffering from the same brain damage as yours truly.

So doctors are plastic surgeons who spend their day dishing out fake boobs and Canadians don't want any foreign influence in this era said to be one of globalization. What would the Iraqis and Iranians have to say about this? Let alone us Teutonians, who are many of us grateful that the Americans and others helped us remove that moustachio'd idiot back in the 1940's and get back on our feet. Sure, the seals are Canadian citizens, and who are we to meddle with them. Any action taken exclusively to regulate animal population is done shooting them, or is it not? And not flogging them to death. Someone please, please help me...
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Has anyone seen the "Whacking Day" episode of the Simpsons? That reminds me of this seal-clubbing business. It's like fox hunting over here, sure maybe these animals need to be contained, but why turn it into a bloodthirsty "sport"?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Obviously, any points worth discussing by the proponents of seal clubbing, are obscurred by the inflamitory tone and actual title of "I club baby seals." Your intent is not to have a rational discussion, but to use barbaric titles and slogans to bully.
Sure jobs are a priority, but exploiting this issue for your political aim seems a bit maniplitive - at the least! Since you mention jobs, are you as fervent around labor, benefits and work condition issues for your employees?
Your all "new members" here, which is a giveaway that this is an old-fashioned lobbying effort - probably led by those in ownership-management.
Plus, a protest won't shut things down, but may begin a dialogue, are you as ready to listen as you are to preach? Sometimes reform helps everyone.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues