::Yellow Submarine

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:10 pm

theDingle wrote:The Pepperland theme is a beaut.

I agree...that´s the best of GM tracks.
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby EddieV » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:41 am

dsnito wrote:
EddieV wrote:
Never heard George Martins numbers, all though I have the record. Couldn´t be bothered!! For me it is not Beatles

Right...but don't forget without GM orchestrations there would be a kind of lack on the Beatle songs...though specificly on THAT work(YS B-side),nothing to do with The Beatles 'cos that was made just for the YS movie soundtrack.

Better put the record on then.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:30 pm

Does anyone else feel like Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much, Only A Northern Song, and even All Together Now are too often overlooked because they're stuck on this pseudo-album?!
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:37 pm

Rick, I completely agree; especially Bulldog and It's All Too Much.

Both could've been on Pepper or MMT and not been out of place. They were recording so much far-out stuff at that point in thier careers.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:04 am

Rick, James (NO! not THAT Rick James!)

Completely agree! And consider this, which I'm sure you already know:

Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and Only a Northern song were originally ticketed for Sgt. Pepper.
Put them there, then add Hey Bulldog, All Together Now and All Too Much to Magical Mystery Tour after SFF and PL is subtracted - and - voila! - Pepper as the Beatles intended! Plus - a deeper, more diverse Magical Mystery Tour. I am going to make a disc of MMT in this new order soon. The Pepper I've done and it has an everlasting ecstatic effect!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:54 am

Interesting, Fred, but we I don't really think that would be a Pepper "as the Beatles intended." If you remember, SFF and PL, along with When I'm 64, were the first 4 songs recorded for what became Pepper. At that time they were thinking about an album based around the concept of their childhoods in Liverpool. BUT, it being 1967, the record company needed singles, and in those days it was seen as ripping off the fans if you put singles on albums.

It was after this that the concept of Sgt Pepper etc was dreamed up and developed. So I would argue that putting those two great songs on Pepper would not make the album more "as the Beatles intended"
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Right, James, BUT - as you point out, the decision to put out Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane as singles was a record company decision, but NOT theirs. Also the planned order/sequence is different then planned - because back in the day- restricted ability of vinyl to hold the number of minutes the songs required dictated a change from their intended order.

As far as the "concept" of Pepper, yea it allowed certain constructive advantages and techniques, but this was very loose as a concept. The three songs omitted actually would have strengenethed the concept, as Only A Northern Song visits alienation/business/inner-life Beatle, Strawberry Fields is about childhood, literally, but figuretively about disassociation, perspective and mental journeys. Compare it with Lucy In the Sky - "Let Me Take You Down.....Picture yourself, on a boat, on a river..........

Penny Lane is also related strongly. Listen to Good Morning, Good Morning. Penny Lane describes childhood scenes, THEN, Good Morning describes those same scenes NOW....." taking a walk by the old school......"

If you get a chance, try integrating the songs into Pepper, then listen as a whole, really interesting!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Movie Poster/songs question

Postby jgkojak » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:42 am

Saw a Yellow Submarine movie poster in a restaurant the other day...

It says "featuring 11 Beatles songs!" yet there are 15 on the songtrack.

I know Hey Bulldog was left off the American release-- but which songs were in YS (and in what order???)
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Albums