::Let It Be...Naked

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:01 pm

james1985 wrote:I really enjoy listening to the album, but it should've been the "Get Back" album. If it's supposed to be raw and "naked", then why make it more and more refined and perfect?

but i listen to the old and new versions about the same amount
I wouldnt say it was refined and perfect. They didnt go back and re-record anything. It is, quite simply, as it should have been in the first place. I would have preferred that he call it "Get Back", though. It is "naked" of the crappy strings and chiors of the Murderer's version.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:15 pm

well the reason it's not called "Get Back" is because it's not the "Get Back" album as put together by Glyn Johns. That was rough around the edges, raw, and an indication of the sessions themselves. I don;t think either Let It be that we have now are a true indication of those sessions
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:15 pm

Phil Spector did ruin the orginal album IMHO. I like a lot of Phil Spector's work, but what he did to LIB is just unexcusable. I know a lot of people think differently. LIB/GB was supposed to be a raw rock and roll record. That was the vision. It wasn't supposed to be a souped up studio experiment. The only reason John spoke so highly of Spector's work at the time was because he really resented Macca providing the direction for the band. Spector pretty much did the complete opposite of what Macca had envisioned for the songs, and I'm sure John got some kind of pleasure out of that.
I don't mean to knock George Harrison, too, (May he rest in Peace) but even he agreed with Paul. He was probably too afraid of John to admit it at the time, but it's my understanding he approved of the Naked version before he passed away. He also said he wished he could have remixed the entire All Things Must Pass album because of the over-blown production.
It would be interesting to hear a stripped down version of ATMP as well. (Here's hoping for the George Anothology soon...)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:41 pm

yeah, but LIBN is as much a corruption of the original idea as the Spector version was
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:43 pm

The closest we have to what the envisioned record would have sounded like are the cuts from the rooftop concert.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:17 pm

Let It Be Naked is eons better than the original, though I miss John's asides and ditties on Naked. But - hey - Spector left off "Don't Let Me Down!"

I recall reading that - and this still surprises me- that the one Beatle at the Spector mix-down was - George Harrison!
Ringo attested that Naked is "like we sounded live, proud of our band, listening to us again."
Ringo, Paul, Olivia Harrison and Y.O. all signed-off on the project. The engineers said no one asked any changes to their work as presented, though Joh's vocals were mixed a little more out front.

I can now "let it be," something I could not do since it was originally released. Naked is a GREAT addition to the Beatles catalogue.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:32 pm

Paperback Writer wrote:
I recall reading that - and this still surprises me- that the one Beatle at the Spector mix-down was - George Harrison!

I think George was just very confused at the time to be honest with you. He really tried to cling to John during the final days of the Beatles. He hung out with John an Ascot all of the time, they both used Spector to produce their early solo recordings, etc.

Then years later he wrote in the liner notes to ATMP that he wished he could remix the entire album and get rid of the over-blown production - which seems more in line with George's over-all vision. (He's always been enthralled with Dylan, the Band, simplicity, etc.) But then again he chose Jeff Lynne to produce his "comeback" album. - Then he flipped back again saying he wanted Brainwashed to be a stripped-down affair. (Which Lynne didn't really follow, but I do like the album)

Cynthia Lennon wrote in her book John that the only Beatle that wasn't afraid to ever challenge John was Paul. The rest of them, according to her, were somewhat intimidated by him. (Which is somewhat understandable considering he started the band, brought them all on board, etc.) So even if the others at the time didn't agree with the Spectorization of LIB, they were probably too afraid to challenge John.
Last edited by maccastheman on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:27 pm

james1985 wrote:yeah, but LIBN is as much a corruption of the original idea as the Spector version was
Not even close...have you seen the movie? If you have, you have to admit that the final well-rehearsed versions of Two fo Us, LIB, LAWR etc sound like they do on Naked rather than the original.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:33 pm

fair point, but i still don't agree with the merging of more than one take to create a sense of perfection that isn't testament to the truth
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Well James, if merging of a take is a problem, what is your opinion of Strawberry Fields?
As far as the way "best takes" were salvaged, it's because this was not a routine Beatle production, you know the details.
It was truely was Chaos and Creation BACK then!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums