John Hiatt

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

John Hiatt

Postby EddieV » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:24 pm

What do you guys think of John Hiatt??

I think he is a very underrated and talented songwriter. Would like to see him live. He should be great both acoustic amd electric.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:45 pm

I saw him open once for Jackson Browne in Memphis. It was kind of cool, because he has that song "Memphis in the Meantime." He was touring behind one of my favorite albums of his as well. ( Perfectly Good Guitar ) I also like the album Bring the Family as well.
His songs have been covered by everyone it seems. (Iggy Pop even!)

Some of my favorites are "Have a Little Faith In Me" by Joe Cocker, "She Don't Love Nobody" by Nick Lowe, "Thing Called Love" by Bonnie Raitt, "Angel Eyes" by Jeff Healey, and so many more.

I had heard that the song "Something Wild" off of PGG was written for/as a tribute to Warren Zevon. (He was still alive at the time of course)

His live act was pretty good. The band I saw him with was a group called the gulity dogs. They were a bunch of young alternative rockers that he hired to back him on the album and tour. He was definitely in the middle of a rock and roll phase at the time. (As opposed to his country/blues roots)[/i]
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:52 pm

I have to see next time he visit Denmark, that´s for sure.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:14 am

He hasn't turned me into a fan, but like mtm said, he's written tunes that Nick Lowe and also Marshall Crenshaw recorded, 2 guys that I am a big fan of. I thought he was pretty good in Little Village, I wish they had stayed together to become The Next Big Thing, lol.

I did think Hiatt was mis-cast to contribute to Will The Circle Be Unbroken? Vol. 2 from '89, I can think of about 7 or 8 other bona fide bluegrass guys that should have been included instead.

I gotta hear more good stuff before I just start laying out my dough regularly for Hiatt though.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby esto » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:02 am

Lipstick sunset - what a beatiful slide guitar solo by Ry Cooder.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to Music - Other Artists