::Anthology 1

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby kylestyle » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:47 am

dsnito wrote:
kylestyle wrote:Okay, well to illustrate what I mean, I have "remixed" Free As A Bird". Well remix is perhaps the wrong word, but I have changed the tempo to what I would consider a more Beatley pace, more akin to say Hello Goodbye or Lady Madonna - you know, that classic Beatles midpace tempo. I increased the tempo of Free As A Bird by 30% and you can hear the result at my little music page at http://oshquiz.tripod.com/


Good job, George Martin II!!! :lol:
Yeah, not bad indeed...it turned more lively I think. Why don't you did this to the entire song?? I'd want to hear George's faster guitar solo.
Who's the acoustic guitarist on "Little Lamb Dragonfly"?? Nice job!! :)


I did "zap" the entire song, but cut it to make it a small download for you :)

Yeah it was MEEEEEEEE :D :D :D playing the guitars on Little Lamb Dragonfly :D :D :D I play EVERYTHING on that recording. I burned the master to a cd and can't find it...maybe I'll have to download that mp3 myself again in case I never find my master copy again :( Thank you for the kind comment. I think the playing on the Wings version is very pretty, so I decided to double-track my own guitars so it has its own 'prettyness'.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
User avatar
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 2789
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:28 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby theDingle » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:05 pm

I have the same enthusiasm for the Anthology Series as I do for Live At the BBC. Again, if I'd been able to access these kind of recordings back in the Beatle days, I would have been everybody's pal, lol---but for sure I'd have been totally jazzed.

I did manage to come up with a couple of vinyl bootlegs in the early post-Beatles 70s, one an Unsurpassed Masters boot, which was allegedly the bootleg paydirt label. But in my rural backwater of East Tennessee, these were rarely had, and expensive anyway.

I first heard it, the whole 2 disc set, on the radio. It was a real cool station that I was listening to while driving about on a weekend, it was great!

The first 26 cuts on disc one seem to succeed in drawing me directly into pre-fame nostalgia, even though I didn't see them until the Ed Sullivan Show, lol. But I think they do show that humble beginnings can yet result in changing the world, an encouraging thought for beginners!

The last few cuts, live from Sweden Oct. '63 are particularly "exuberant" as the booklet says---very true! If I could have seen them live, this would be the performance. They were still lean and hungry and giving it their all.

Favorite alternate cuts from disc 2:
Can't Buy Me Love ("uh-shoo-bee-doo-bay!") :lol:
And I Love Her
I'll Be Back
No Reply
Eight Days A Week

Great to hear the song development, groggy voices and all, lol.

As for You Know What To Do--whatta stinker! But I'm thrilled it was included, as a stinker, it's priceless!

I love Free As A Bird, plus the CD single had more rare bonus cuts not on the 2-disc set (I especially dug Christmas Time Is Here Again).

I'll bet there's another 2-disc set of the early stuff worth hearing--C'mon, put 'er out, I'm game!! :shock:
not shmingking of gin
User avatar
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: USA

Postby EddieV » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:28 am

some of the live-stuff, really rocks the brain out!!
Now junior behave yourself
User avatar
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 7031
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:13 am
Location: Svendborg, Denmark

Postby james1985 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:04 am

Macca's version of Searchin' is such a great vocal. Also like thier banter in the studio during One After 909
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
User avatar
james1985
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 4162
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: The old UK

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:26 am

Paul's contribution to Free As A Bird is virtually un-noticable.

Weren't the Beatles all supposed to contribue something(substantial) to the record?
Like on Dear Prudence...(probably their best arguably with all contributing)

Was Paul afraid to contribute something meaningful or something?

p.s: I'm starting to think now this 2-track reunion should never have been done. I mean if you're gonna do something, do it properly...

At least George did his part brilliantly(i think he was seemingly the only substantial contributor)
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Postby EddieV » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:42 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:Paul's contribution to Free As A Bird is virtually un-noticable.

Weren't the Beatles all supposed to contribue something(substantial) to the record?
Like on Dear Prudence...(probably their best arguably with all contributing)

Was Paul afraid to contribute something meaningful or something?

p.s: I'm starting to think now this 2-track reunion should never have been done. I mean if you're gonna do something, do it properly...

At least George did his part brilliantly(i think he was seemingly the only substantial contributor)


I think they all did their part brilliantly including Jeff Lynne.

Just to have George and Paul together in the studio was quite something. I mean what can you expect from two musicians who hasn´t played together in more than 20 years. They did try on other tunes two you know, but was never satisfied with the results. Also I don´t think they were ready to put energy in making it work, especially George.

By the way Ringo isn´t on Dear Prudence. Paul is drumming there.
Now junior behave yourself
User avatar
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 7031
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:13 am
Location: Svendborg, Denmark

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:21 am

EddieV wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:Paul's contribution to Free As A Bird is virtually un-noticable.

Weren't the Beatles all supposed to contribue something(substantial) to the record?
Like on Dear Prudence...(probably their best arguably with all contributing)

Was Paul afraid to contribute something meaningful or something?

p.s: I'm starting to think now this 2-track reunion should never have been done. I mean if you're gonna do something, do it properly...

At least George did his part brilliantly(i think he was seemingly the only substantial contributor)


I think they all did their part brilliantly including Jeff Lynne.

Just to have George and Paul together in the studio was quite something. I mean what can you expect from two musicians who hasn´t played together in more than 20 years. They did try on other tunes two you know, but was never satisfied with the results. Also I don´t think they were ready to put energy in making it work, especially George.

By the way Ringo isn´t on Dear Prudence. Paul is drumming there.
Bah!
What's the point in having a drummer, if he don't drum?

Especially George?(George had a good reason, MCCartney wasn't as talented as the McCartney he knew in the BEatles. It could never work completely or even almost, without McCartney on top of his game)
Sure McCartney and Ringo might have been all for making it work, but how was McCartney gonna contribute? I fail to hear any meaningful contribution to FAAB and RL.

How long would George've had to have spent sitting around just waiting for years for McCartney to get his groove back?
How boring.

If i was George i would've walked out on McCartney/"the beatles" too.

No point in trying if it's not going to work.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Postby EddieV » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:
EddieV wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:Paul's contribution to Free As A Bird is virtually un-noticable.

Weren't the Beatles all supposed to contribue something(substantial) to the record?
Like on Dear Prudence...(probably their best arguably with all contributing)

Was Paul afraid to contribute something meaningful or something?

p.s: I'm starting to think now this 2-track reunion should never have been done. I mean if you're gonna do something, do it properly...

At least George did his part brilliantly(i think he was seemingly the only substantial contributor)


I think they all did their part brilliantly including Jeff Lynne.

Just to have George and Paul together in the studio was quite something. I mean what can you expect from two musicians who hasn´t played together in more than 20 years. They did try on other tunes two you know, but was never satisfied with the results. Also I don´t think they were ready to put energy in making it work, especially George.

By the way Ringo isn´t on Dear Prudence. Paul is drumming there.
Bah!
What's the point in having a drummer, if he don't drum?

Especially George?(George had a good reason, MCCartney wasn't as talented as the McCartney he knew in the BEatles. It could never work completely or even almost, without McCartney on top of his game)
Sure McCartney and Ringo might have been all for making it work, but how was McCartney gonna contribute? I fail to hear any meaningful contribution to FAAB and RL.

How long would George've had to have spent sitting around just waiting for years for McCartney to get his groove back?
How boring.

If i was George i would've walked out on McCartney/"the beatles" too.

No point in trying if it's not going to work.


This is for your own account, Lazarus. We don´t know what exactly happened.

Ringo did walked out during the recording of The White Album and someone had to play the drums, so Paul did.
Now junior behave yourself
User avatar
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 7031
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:13 am
Location: Svendborg, Denmark

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Albums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron