Concept Albums: what's best, what's trash ?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby EddieV » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:28 pm

Lou Reed_Berlin is a great concept-album
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:31 pm

"Operation Mindcrime" by Queensryche is very good
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:19 am

a guy named jeff wayne did an album in the 70's called 'War of the Worlds" a direct, musical rendition of the HG Wells novel...while corny, it was also kinda cool.... i quite like the Flaming Lips 'Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"...of course, the floyd...esp. the Wall and the Final Cut... stings' the Soul Cages...Gov't Mule did an interesting, quasi-concept, after they lost thier bassist...they borrowed in a whole bunch of bassists and did three albums exploring the different voices each brought to a wide variety of songs...
i know i'll take flak over this...but i think that most, if not all of pauls' records have a very heavy conceptual feel, if only through motiffs, sounds, feelings, etc.
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm

I think you could go way back and say that a lot of classical pieces, were concept albums(if they had albums back then of course) Vivaldi The Four Seasons....that sort of stuff.

But, I'd as Sgt Pepper was a concept album....along with some early Beach Boys too considering the topics of almost every song. And of course The Moody Blues album with Nights In white Satin and Tuesday Afternoon..what ever it was called. :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:50 pm

2 of 3 wrote:And of course The Moody Blues album with Nights In white Satin and Tuesday Afternoon..what ever it was called. :wink:

Days of Future Passed.

Now I think that is a trashy concept album if there ever is one. It just doesn't work, apart from Nights in White Satin.

There is a great old relic from 1967 called Zodiac Cosmic Sounds - it's bad but in a good way. Each of the 12 songs is an ode based on a sign of the zodiac. It is also the first album to feature the Moog synthesizer. It's a fun(ny) album.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:22 am

Greendale, Neil Young and Crazy Horse
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Highamster » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:46 am

Dream Theaters 'Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory' is probably my fave.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby UsagiAndMamoru » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:26 pm

"The Wall" by Pink Floyd, and "Operation: Mindcrime" by Queensrÿche. Two timeless concept albums!
UsagiAndMamoru

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 am

Sir.derekwarner wrote:
EddieV wrote:Most Pink Floyd albums were concept album. The Final Cut is a great album about the Falkland war in the beginning of the 80´s.

Yes Eddie....that's a very underated album too!

I think the problem w/ this album is that, it can be darn depressing - to people with some sensitivity like myself. Come to think of it, Pink Floyd's concept albums are not one bit uplifting but rather downputting....but I love "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here"...
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby maccastheman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:10 pm

I've been listening to the latest album from Saint Etienne a lot lately, Tales from Turnpike House. It's basically a concept album about life in an apartment complex on the outskirts of London. While that may sound like an incredibly boring subject to some people, it's actually quite a charming little album full great tunes. It kind of reminds me of some of Ray Davies sketches of British life. Of course this is the modern version so the sound is much more along the lines of techno/jazz/chillout music. (As I stated in another thread it kind of reminds me of Everything But the Girl, but more British sounding) There's also quite a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson influence on the album, especially on the last song "Goodnight." The songs are great, and it just makes you want to move to a London suburb.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists