Coldplay, Radiohead, etc.

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:50 pm

Bono said in an interview a few weeks ago, that Radiohead needs to write a few hit songs.

Bono: Radiohead just looked at the pop machine and the machinations of pop and just said, we don't have it in us, we don't have the energy, to have our way with that. I don't hear [Radiohead's] Thom Yorke singing on the radio. I want to hear Radiohead, extraordinary band that they are, on MTV. I want them setting fire to the imaginations of 16, 15, 14 year old kids. I was 14 when John Lennon set fire to my imagination. At that age, you're just [angry], and your moods swing, and it's an incredible time to be hit with something like that. I don't blame them [for not wanting to be on MTV]. But I think, what would my life be like without the Beatles? If the Beatles had just kept going on experimenting after "Sgt. Pepper," I'd be interested to hear it, of course.

Coldplay: One of Martin's favourite ever groups, labelmates Radiohead, described Coldplay as 'lifestyle music'. "We're like an eager dog just yapping around their heels,' he adds 'and they're trying to kick us away," he jokes. "It's like unrequited love. I'm in love with a lot of things. Some of those things love me back. And some of them don't -- and one of them is Radiohead."

:)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:50 pm

I've listened to a few Radiohead albums and like them. I've listened to a few Coldplay albums and hate them.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:53 pm

That's good to hear...the world is a better place now :roll:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:55 pm

Yeah, I didn't bother reading the topic till after a posted it. But my opinion still stand though. :P
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:56 pm

I've heard great things about Radiohead live, and okay things about Coldplay live. Coldplay is a band I don't mind listening to, but for some reason they just don't excite me as much as other bands. (Like the Arcade Fire - I think that band is incredible)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:16 pm

maccastheman wrote:REM's New Adventures in Hi Fi album which I still think is my favorite. (Other than their '80s stuff like Murmur and Document)

I still think Monster is their best ever album - it's the one album where they decide to record chunky grunge rock guitar songs like Star 69, Circus Envy and I Took Your Name among the more glittering tracks like Strange Currencies and I Don't Sleep I Dream. It rocks big time.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:24 pm

kylestyle wrote:
maccastheman wrote:REM's New Adventures in Hi Fi album which I still think is my favorite. (Other than their '80s stuff like Murmur and Document)

I still think Monster is their best ever album - it's the one album where they decide to record chunky grunge rock guitar songs like Star 69, Circus Envy and I Took Your Name among the more glittering tracks like Strange Currencies and I Don't Sleep I Dream. It rocks big time.

Those are actually my two favorite albums. I just like the lyrics on New Adventures better - it's one of those world-weary albums that rocks.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:06 pm

I've been reading all the negative posts in regard to coldplay....and I can understand where everybody's coming from indeed.

However,I have to say that I really enjoy their new single that is currently topping the charts..."Talk" is a good tune...when I turn that song up I feel alive! Can't ask for anything better than that now can you.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:09 pm

The other day I heard - through the haze of trying to wake up (too) early in the morning - a song on the radio and I thought, crikey, that sounds like Tears for Fears, but more boring - and it turned out to be Coldplay :lol:
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Radiohead are my favourite non-Bealtes band. Coldplay are diet-Radiohead, it can be very bland bu sometimes good.

Radiohead are just pure innovators, and Thom can write the sweetest melody. I love those guys
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists