Concept Albums: what's best, what's trash ?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Concept Albums: what's best, what's trash ?

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:58 am

I think The Floyd came up with the best Concept albums ever: "The Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here". Their original member (forgot his name), his increasing lunacy and extreme alienation/isolation with fame/fortune found in between was the main source.

One concept album with great music from plenty of tracks but whacky, delirious, even insane lyrics is "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" (Genesis).

One trashy CA - cannot think of one right now....
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:11 am

Quadrophenia
Tommy

i like these...

Sgt. Pepper's has been reffered to as a concept album for too long,
i call it "concept album light"
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:40 am

Good ones ! I do like TOMMY a lot.....

As for Sgt. Peppers, as far as I know it started out as a concept album - songs that would portray life and aspirations of two young lads )of course J & P) in Liverpool. But after "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields" were released as a single and were left off the album, the lads decided to record whatever song they came up with, thus loosening (or losing) the "concept album" concept. Still, there are tracks with that mindframe: A Day in the Life, When I'm sixty four, perhaps Good Morning Good Morning....
Berkeleyan

Postby kylestyle » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:05 am

I would like to add Pyramid by the Alan Parsons Project. Great album. Jesus Christ Superstar is also great. The Mars Volta's Deloused in the Crematorium and Frances the Mule are great. Radiohead's OK Computer could be almost classed as a concept album. Dream Theater have put out some impressive works.

Trash? It's hard to think of any concept album in that kind of way - any set of songs with an underlying common theme is all right by me. I saw a review of Tommy on Amazon - the dude liked Pinball Wizard and I'm Free - but he believed everything else was derivative of other tunes on the album and were bland and boring as heck - I don't agree with that, I quite like Tommy myself.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 am

kylestyle wrote:Trash? It's hard to think of any concept album in that kind of way - any set of songs with an underlying common theme is all right by me. I saw a review of Tommy on Amazon - the dude liked Pinball Wizard and I'm Free - but he believed everything else was derivative of other tunes on the album and were bland and boring as heck - I don't agree with that, I quite like Tommy myself.

I guess you're right - there may not ever be a so-labeled "trashy" concept album. I guess concept albums just don't fit into that. They may be not interesting, they may have a couple of fillers thrown in and so forth, but they represent a certain mindframe with some kind of concept to convey in songs (and sounds). Thus, that kid of work may not be your or my cup of tea, but it's not trash anyway, I guess. I stand corrected !
Berkeleyan

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 am

Pink Floyd - The Wall I like best

I don't know of any I dislike....Pepper is not a concept album as far as I'm concerned....the idea at first was to make a concept album but the idea fell at the waist side because of presure from EMI for a single...and as we all know Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields were taken from the concept!

So I guess I'll call one of my favorite albums of all time a trashy Concept album........only cause it's not concept album
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:32 am

I got you !
It makes sense....
Berkeleyan

Postby EddieV » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 am

Most Pink Floyd albums were concept album. The Final Cut is a great album about the Falkland war in the beginning of the 80´s.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:38 am

EddieV wrote:Most Pink Floyd albums were concept album. The Final Cut is a great album about the Falkland war in the beginning of the 80´s.

Yes Eddie....that's a very underated album too!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:13 pm

Greenday's "American Idiot" is actually a great collection of pop/punk songs that make a great concept album.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists