Best Denny Laine Song on a Wings-album?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby chris » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Hey now! Lets not underestimate the power of a fine kazoo solo. I hear that one was edited from side two of Abbey Road just days before it's release. :wink:
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:08 pm

jules wrote: I don't relate to Nirvana in any way shape and form. I hated their nihilistic, self-destructive, depressed, check-shirted attitude. They should have a) made full use of the kazoo in their "songs" and b) learned to smile.

You've aptly described the "rock n roll attitude" in one convenient sentence. So what kind of music do you like? The folk bands lampooned in A Mighty Wind? :wink:

Nirvana smiled heaps - take the In Bloom video for instance, where they poke fun at that Ed Sullivan / Beatles era. Kurt in interviews always had a wry sense of humour. Or Dave Grohl and Krist - they were always such goofballs - amazing that Krist later became passionately involved with Croatian politics after the band's demise - like most people, they had a serious side and a lighthearted side.

Regarding SOAE - I think it's ok if people identify the song with Denny, even if Paul wrote it. Wings were a band, I don't think we should be so precious over who wrote what - they were a team. Just like it's weird reading some of those posts where people argue John wrote 56 percent of Eight Days a Week and Paul wrote the remaining 44... who really gives a heck? At the end of the day, it's the end product that matters.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby kylestyle » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey my brother gave me a 2006 Nirvana calendar for Christmas, and out of the 12 months, there are 4 pictures where Kurt definitely smiles... along with the rest of the band. The rest of the pics, they were obviously taken in the heat of performance and concentration. Jules, here's a pic JUST FOR YOU!

http://members.tripod.com/~upperpill/SMILE.JPG

:lol:
kylestyle

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:31 pm

Tough room this. :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:34 pm

I don't like Nirvana - type bands for lots of reasons. But I don't call their posture a rock'n'roll attitude; no more than all the other grunge bands or Sid Vicious and those other New Wave/punk prats. They just needed to lighten up. What were they raging against? To me they looked like slightly annoyed adolescents who had just found another pimple on their necks. I mean, it's really stupid. Oasis have exactly the same attitude. I just wish they'd grow up...and make half decent music.
The Beatles and Wings were FUN without all that stupid, childish aggression and angst. That's what's missing. (And the minute Lennon or Harrison became preachy/bolshy/sweary/self-aggrandised, towards the end of The Beatles' reign, they became a pain in the arse.)
As for Denny, he was the best of Paul's collaborators since John. The worst was Michael Jackson (Say Say Say, The Girl Is Mine: yuck). And Denny's finest hour was the entirety of Band On The Run where his husky vocals are in evidence everywhere but nowhere are they overpowering.
jules

Postby kylestyle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:23 pm

jules wrote:stupid, childish aggression and angst

Well, it's neither stupid nor childish. It is a valid human emotion, irrespective of how old you are or your background. Listen to John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album. Angst is its middle name. Inner demons are what make musicians interesting to me. Sure it's nice to have your Neil Sedakas as well, but life isn't all candy floss and calendar girls, is it! :wink:
kylestyle

Postby jules » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:46 pm

Plastic Ono Band is self-reverential in the extreme. The reasons I love Macca are partly because of his evident love of life, up-beat attitude and positivity. Macca said in Anthology that The Beatles had a "good spirit behind it all". I really cannot stick damned wrist-slitting nincompoops singing dreary songs about how crap it all is. Lennon soon fell into this trap once The Beatles ended. Plastic Ono band is very uneasy listening; some good tunes, but I resent his clearing of the Beatles' decks in God. And Mother and My Mummy's Dead are both rather embarrassing. I also wouldn't buy Imagine for his unwarranted outburst about McCartney in How Do You Sleep. It's puerile. And for the record I don't particularly like Neil Sedaka.
jules

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Mull of Kintyre ofcourse

I really like Children Children too. I know that one isn't too popular round here....but I dig it!t
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:49 pm

kylestyle wrote:
RickStark79 wrote:
james1985 wrote:
jules wrote:James1985: You don't think Denny was much of a writer? I think he was superb. E.g. No Words, Time To Hide, Deliver Your Children, Children Children, Again And Again And Again. What's not to like?

I don't think he could've carried a band on his own with his own songs. His osngs just pale in comparison to Pauls. But I've never heard any of his solo work so I may be mistaken

Well, Kurt Cobain's songs pale in comparison to Paul, but I think he did a fine job carrying a band. You just can't make that comparison.

I have to respectfully disagree. Many of Kurt's songs blew Paul well and truly out of the water (Blew is one example lol), there are so many Kurt songs Paul would have no hope in hell of coming up with - Kurt came up with riffs no one in else the world could imagine.

Regarding Spirits of Ancient Egypt, so what if Paul wrote it... Denny takes lead vocal... it's Denny's moment in the sun.

There are many songs by Kurt Cobain that Paul McCartney couldn't have come up with........and there are many many many more songs of paul's kurt Couldn't have dreamed writing. First off they are two different people who have different personalities....But to think anyone would put up the argument that Kurt Cobain had more talent as a Musician/Songwriter than that of Paul McCartney is a NUT!
Last edited by Genuine_Indian_Guru on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:56 pm

kylestyle wrote:
jules wrote:stupid, childish aggression and angst

Well, it's neither stupid nor childish. It is a valid human emotion, irrespective of how old you are or your background. Listen to John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album. Angst is its middle name. Inner demons are what make musicians interesting to me. Sure it's nice to have your Neil Sedakas as well, but life isn't all candy floss and calendar girls, is it! :wink:

You know.......Cobain and Lennon ......that is a valid comparison.
Now....correct me if I'm Wrong but is he comparing Paul McCartney to Neil Sedaka?
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions