Best Denny Laine Song on a Wings-album?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Spirits of Ancient Egypt
Time to Hide
The Note You Never Wrote
Mull of Kintyre
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ANGRY » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:43 am

...there are WAY too many great artists, and way too many really good artists that just burble along under the surface, never getting any recognition.
i know i don't have the $$ to check out each artist i'm interested in...
charting, selling and name recognition alone do not a great artist make !
i'm sure each of us can identify one or two really good people that others had never heard of...
(Los Super Seven, anyone...or how about Bob Mould ?)
Denny did more than alright with paul and with the Moodys' back in the day...so, has anyone listened to any of his stuff post wings...? that's what i'd like to know...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jules » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Jimmy McCulloch fan: Spirits is a Paul song.
Chris: How did Denny "compliment" Paul? Did he tell Paul he was good-looking, a great singer, a good bass player? I think you mean "complement"!
jules

Postby james1985 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:37 pm

Denny: "Paul, I like your new moustache"
Paul: "Shuddup and play guitar, sideman"
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:50 pm

james1985 wrote:
jules wrote:James1985: You don't think Denny was much of a writer? I think he was superb. E.g. No Words, Time To Hide, Deliver Your Children, Children Children, Again And Again And Again. What's not to like?

I don't think he could've carried a band on his own with his own songs. His osngs just pale in comparison to Pauls. But I've never heard any of his solo work so I may be mistaken

Well, Kurt Cobain's songs pale in comparison to Paul, but I think he did a fine job carrying a band. You just can't make that comparison.
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:18 pm

RickStark79 wrote:
james1985 wrote:
jules wrote:James1985: You don't think Denny was much of a writer? I think he was superb. E.g. No Words, Time To Hide, Deliver Your Children, Children Children, Again And Again And Again. What's not to like?

I don't think he could've carried a band on his own with his own songs. His osngs just pale in comparison to Pauls. But I've never heard any of his solo work so I may be mistaken

Well, Kurt Cobain's songs pale in comparison to Paul, but I think he did a fine job carrying a band. You just can't make that comparison.

Rick, I think what we both mean is that Denny wasn't the best songwriter in the group. Kurt Cobain may not be a better songwriter than PM, but he was the best songwriter in Nirvana (hope i don't upset any grohl fans :D ).
So, I didn't mean that anyone who isn't as good a songwriter as Paul shouldn't front a band
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:44 pm

[/quote]Rick, I think what we both mean is that Denny wasn't the best songwriter in the group. Kurt Cobain may not be a better songwriter than PM, but he was the best songwriter in Nirvana (hope i don't upset any grohl fans :D ).
So, I didn't mean that anyone who isn't as good a songwriter as Paul shouldn't front a band[/quote] :pukel
Consider me Offended
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:47 pm

RickStark79 wrote:
james1985 wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree. Many of Kurt's songs blew Paul well and truly out of the water (Blew is one example lol), there are so many Kurt songs Paul would have no hope in hell of coming up with - Kurt came up with riffs no one in else the world could imagine.

Regarding Spirits of Ancient Egypt, so what if Paul wrote it... Denny takes lead vocal... it's Denny's moment in the sun.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby jules » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:14 pm

Sorry, KyleStyle. I thought this was all about songs Denny had written. My mistake.
jules

Postby jules » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:21 pm

Have to disagree with Kurt blowing Paul out of the water. I don't relate to Nirvana in any way shape and form. I hated their nihilistic, self-destructive, depressed, check-shirted attitude. They should have a) made full use of the kazoo in their "songs" and b) learned to smile. And they all looked like they would give off an unpleasant odour if one stood too near!
jules

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions