::Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby james1985 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:15 am

Emerick has a book coming out? Fantastic!

Just Neil Aspinall to go then.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Sorry 2of3. I will relax!
jules

Postby jules » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:34 pm

However, no more arguments. Macca played 99% of the solos. 'Nuff said. End of story. "Period".
jules

Postby Paperback Writer » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:11 am

Will research to my satisfaction, thank you.
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:27 am

jules wrote:However, no more arguments. Macca played 99% of the solos. 'Nuff said. End of story. "Period".

Is this why George didn't have particularly fond memories of the album?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:36 am

Absolutely, James. He felt sidelined and and as if he didn't really have a role during the Pepper sessions. According to G. Martin, George would spend hours (e.g. on the title track) carefully, meticulously, methodically and painstakingly working out every note of a solo. Then, later in the session, Macca would wipe it all and come up with a pithy, inventive solo in seconds to replace George's. While it's easy to feel sorry for George, Paul was so adept at thinking up musical brilliance on the spur of the moment.
There was, of course, a precedence for great Macca solos and lead guitar flourishes, e.g. The Night Before: Macca
Ticket To Ride: all Macca lead guitar
Another Girl: Macca lead guitar
Michelle: lead guitar solo (he actually used a bass to get that sound)
Taxman: solo.
So, it's hardly surprising that Macca went on to perform most of the lead guitar work on an album that was, in effect, very much HIS baby.
jules

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:10 am

Apparently Dylan saw little merit in Sgt. Pepper's...

Source: Dylan: Visions, portraits, and back pages

Loathing the artificiality of phychedelia, he found little merit in the McCartney-esque soundscapes of Sgt PEpper. "Turn that ***censored*** off!" was his reported verdict.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Paperback Writer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:03 am

I liked Dylan better when he was mysterious, now there's the problem of TMI. His art is way better than his commentary on other's art. Bob has had many strange phases, in his personal life and my reaction has been similar to his about Pepper..........But I love most of his music and glad he is who he is, I just don't parrot or worship everything he says or does....and he likes that!

Indispensible icon.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:42 pm

jules wrote:Absolutely, James. He felt sidelined and and as if he didn't really have a role during the Pepper sessions. According to G. Martin, George would spend hours (e.g. on the title track) carefully, meticulously, methodically and painstakingly working out every note of a solo. Then, later in the session, Macca would wipe it all and come up with a pithy, inventive solo in seconds to replace George's. While it's easy to feel sorry for George, Paul was so adept at thinking up musical brilliance on the spur of the moment.
There was, of course, a precedence for great Macca solos and lead guitar flourishes, e.g. The Night Before: Macca
So, it's hardly surprising that Macca went on to perform most of the lead guitar work on an album that was, in effect, very much HIS baby.
I have yet to see Macca put as much energy into a solo project, as he did with Sgt.pepper.

Mabye his next album can be "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Man"..
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:15 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:
jules wrote:Absolutely, James. He felt sidelined and and as if he didn't really have a role during the Pepper sessions. According to G. Martin, George would spend hours (e.g. on the title track) carefully, meticulously, methodically and painstakingly working out every note of a solo. Then, later in the session, Macca would wipe it all and come up with a pithy, inventive solo in seconds to replace George's. While it's easy to feel sorry for George, Paul was so adept at thinking up musical brilliance on the spur of the moment.
I have yet to see Macca put as much energy into a solo project, as he did with Sgt.pepper.

Mabye his next album can be "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Man"..

I don´t think it is a easy as that. I think Macca tries his best every time he records e new record.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums