Pauls best work on a beatles album

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby jules » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:56 am

"Botched together". Ha. You're joking. I hope.
jules

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:22 pm

Well, I do have a hard time giving credit to only one person for the great album it turned into. As with most Beatle albums, it took all five of them to finish a product properly. Without George Martin, Let It Be kind of fell apart didn't it? There's a lot ideas put together on Abbey Road...a lot of good ideas. How it was put together was very important though.
And, as far as Revolver is concerned, if you remove Lennons' songs, it's not nearly as interesting...so, the Beatles were a group.....I don't think that can be said enough times.....no matter how much anyone likes one of the individuals of that group....it was the 5 of them that came up with the finished product.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Abby Road and Sgt Pepper............ I prefer the Sgt Pepper period with stuff like Penny Lane. However Abby Road is unquestionably brilliant
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:23 pm

One spells it "Abbey Road".
jules

Postby let_em_in » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Sgt Pepper
let_em_in

Postby Mini » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:22 pm

jules wrote:What???
Abbey Road over rated? Forget it; get real.
Abbey Road side 2 is tremendous; the best piece of sustained, segued, melodic, almost symphonic pop/rock EVER. Never equalled, even when there were groups (Pink Floyd, Genesis et al) who were trying for a similar, themed, sweeping style throughout the seventies.
I really cannot cope with people (especially so called Macca/Beatles fans) who don't adore AR and who don't think it's the best (or at the very least one of the best) things ever done in popular music.
What side two manages to do is to be grand, emotional, tear-jerking, fun, moody, eclectic and EPIC without EVER approaching pretension. It so easily could have been a self-aggrandising disaster. But it wasn't; it was their true farewell parting shot. Total musical genius. I wonder if anybody else agrees with me?

Maybe it sounds like genius too you but to me it is a complete let down after the brilliance of the White Album. The White Album was the last brilliant thing the Beatles did. I also think that it is fitting that the White Album closes with Cry Baby Cry, Revolution 9 and Good Night. It's like John saying this is it, it's over.

Come Together, Oh Darling, Because and Golden Slumbers showed that the Beatles were not beneath nicking ideas from other people. Take away George's songs and there's not much greatness left. Lennon's songs in the medley are throwaway's and Paul's aren't much better. The jam at the end is great but too little too late as far as I'm concerned.
Mini

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Come Together, Oh Darling, Because and Golden Slumbers showed that the Beatles were not beneath nicking ideas from other people.

You're a little late to the party here....the Beatles nicked ideas through there entire career and admitted doing it right from the start.

But yeah, I like the White Album too. :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mini » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:13 am

2 of 3 wrote:
Come Together, Oh Darling, Because and Golden Slumbers showed that the Beatles were not beneath nicking ideas from other people.

You're a little late to the party here....the Beatles nicked ideas through there entire career and admitted doing it right from the start.

But yeah, I like the White Album too. :wink:

I was being polite so as not to inflame some of the AR punters on this board. They stole pieces of music from other sources and claimed it as their own.

:wink:
Mini

Postby jules » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:07 am

Complete and utter drivel about Abbey Road. I wish to say no more on the subject.
All I will say, however, is that what has been said about Come Together, Golden Slumbers, Because and Oh Darling is unbelievable nonsense. The Beatles didn't "nick" things as you claim. They were inspired by other people. That's the nature of music, and of art generally. One can't invent art; one can only rearrange it in a pleasing way. Therefore, Sun King sounds like Fleetwood Mac's Albatross instrumentally and atmospherically, but it isn't the same bloody song. All of the songs by the Beatles' songs (except covers) are totally their own work. This, by the way, includes George's solo My Sweet Lord. It really isn't He's So Fine; it never was.
I really do think that some of the ignorant blah people have written about Abbey Road here is ill thought out codswollap. Read Ian McDonald's Revolution in the Head, watch Anthology again, LISTEN to the albums. And then say/write something worth saying/writing. Please.
jules

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:48 am

Could someone fill me in on the Golden Slumbers nick? I know Come Together had some similarity to a Chuck Berry song, and Because was a reversed classical peice....actually I'm not sure about the Oh Darling either....

Jules...we're just talking here...no reason to get upset really :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle