Back to the Egg TV Show the '79-'80 period

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:05 pm

Anybody remember the video tv show that came out from Back to the Egg where they did a video for every song on the album.

Remember the Getting Closer video where they are in the Van doing the mototway?

Or the video for Spin it on where they are in the airplane terminal or the Winter rose video where they are in the field with the snow?

This aired in 1979 or so on channel 11 in New York (Wpix). I think it was around that time - i remember i had a tape recorder and i taped his 20/20 interview with Geraldo Rivera and his December interview in 1979 with Tom Snyder??? Anybody remember those? I think i was about ten ??

I cried in January '80 when he got busted cause i was told for a week - he was going to get 7 years and i wouldn't see an album until i was in College. This is pre-CNN and Entertainment Tonite and MTV. So, there was a serious time difference and information gap. Believe me, i thought at my stupidity he was going to do time cause that was a huge bag of weed. And when i heard the British ambassador was turned away and no guitar - i thought he was screwed! ha-ha. Anybody remember that?? Those tears came in December though - sadly

He also appeared in 1980 around April on SNL with Father Guido Sardici outside his soho office in London promoting Coming up.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:05 pm

Anybody remember the video tv show that came out from Back to the Egg where they did a video for every song on the album.

Remember the Getting Closer video where they are in the Van doing the mototway?

Or the video for Spin it on where they are in the airplane terminal or the Winter rose video where they are in the field with the snow?

This aired in 1979 or so on channel 11 in New York (Wpix). I think it was around that time - i remember i had a tape recorder and i taped his 20/20 interview with Geraldo Rivera and his December interview in 1979 with Tom Snyder??? Anybody remember those? I think i was about ten ??

I cried in January '80 when he got busted cause i was told for a week - he was going to get 7 years and i wouldn't see an album until i was in College. This is pre-CNN and Entertainment Tonite and MTV. So, there was a serious time difference and information gap. Believe me, i thought at my stupidity he was going to do time cause that was a huge bag of weed. And when i heard the British ambassador was turned away and no guitar - i thought he was screwed! ha-ha. Anybody remember that?? Those tears came in December though - sadly

He also appeared in 1980 around April on SNL with Father Guido Sardici outside his soho office in London promoting Coming up.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Helter Skelter » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:48 am

I have almost all of the songs from the "egg" special.in somewhat bad quality but still they´re very cool!
If Paul could release this stuff on VHS/DVD in the future.
He´s got so much in his private collection that needs to get out to us. the fans!
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Wings » Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:14 am

There is alot of video's both rare and not on ebay. Most are copies from broadcasts. I did see A guy who sells DVD's of videos like ROCKSHOW and LET IT BE. He must have a DVD burner. The people that have bought from him say the quality is good. I for one Im waiting to see if PM himself will release this stuff. Someone was selling a copy of the TV special "James Paul McCartney" from I think 1973. Might have also been called "Gotta Sing Gotta Dance".
Wings

Postby Steve-o » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:59 pm

I hope that Macca follows thur with plans to release a comprehensive collection of his videos. Would be a very good seller, IMHO.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:12 am

Would it? We diehard fans of course will buy it, but will the 'general public' be interested in the videos of Back To The Egg and Press To Play?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:54 am

I remember seeing this special on nz tv at the time...I was only like 6 then though, but this was when I was becoming a huge Wings fan, and I already had BTTE on record and on tape! NZ tv used to always have music specials on all the time back in the early 80s...nowdays there's nothing fresh in the way of new music documentaries or concerts or promotional things.

I'd love to see this again on a dvd or vhs one day, for we never had a video recorder at the time it first aired (79/80?). I hope the original tapes are being securely archived somewhere.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:10 am

It´s my fave period with wings after band on the run of course. I like the hard stuff that time.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Return to MACCA-Videos