Red Square- same old same old.

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Red Square- same old same old.

Postby Hello Goodbye » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:37 am

This is my moan for the year-lol

I'm a Paul/Beatles fanatic the same as anyone else here and will no doubt buy this dvd BUT!!...........I have to say i AM getting a little tired of the same 90% similar tracklisting's of almost every concert dvd/video.

Also........."Back In The US" was dissapointing in the way that the "Get Back" dvd had better performances of most of the songs.....On BITUS- Driving Rain, You Never Give Me Your Money, and Every Night should have been part of the concert- not extra's....And it was spoilt by the constant documentary style interruptions of the songs( these should have been kept for the extra's)

I personally prefer the "Paul Is Live" and "Get Back" dvd's.

The....."Put It There" dvd was a HUGE dissapointment- it was a complete hash job when compared to the video..... some of the best tracks were cut to pieces.

We fans are also crying out for a "Greatest Hits" dvd set....And some "Wings" concerts on dvd too.

Anyone else's thoughts on this??
Hello Goodbye

Postby Uncle Albert » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:19 am

As far as the "Red Square" dvd is concerned,the following review perfectly sums up my feelings,not only regarding Paul's dvd's but his concerts as a whole.

http://www.dvdmg.com/mccartneyinredsquare.shtml

But i'd certainly like to see a dvd of those early Wings concerts (72/73) or a "singles" dvd.
Uncle Albert

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:25 am

I agree that he should do some different songs---more wings and solo. He wants to try and please everyone and it's a difficult road. Do I play to the person who has seen me 5 times, or to the kid who has never seen me live? Perhaps he could solve this by doing 2 different shows (one for each) in each "area" and advertise it that way. "Beatle heavy" and "Solo Heavy".

I also agree that BITUS would have been much better had it been in order, like a real concert, and the extra footage would be, well...extra. That's why I long for a live pay per view event.

As for Get back and PIL DVD's being better, I couldn't disagree more. This band is 10 times better---musicianship counts and each of these players is far better than those two bands...Macca's singing is actually stronger now than in 1993--listen to him groan thru Paperback Writer in 1993 and you'll hear what I mean...and we don't have to see that annoying Hamish doing his "thang"---I have to keep the puke bucket handy when the camera hits him. Also, Paul seems far more into his performnces and digs a lot deeper with this lineup---witness Maybe Im Amazed. Not even a contest.
Last edited by Steve-o on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:30 am

Uncle Albert wrote:As far as the "Red Square" dvd is concerned,the following review perfectly sums up my feelings,not only regarding Paul's dvd's but his concerts as a whole.

http://www.dvdmg.com/mccartneyinredsquare.shtml

But i'd certainly like to see a dvd of those early Wings concerts (72/73) or a "singles" dvd.
The Red Square DVD was meant to be a postcard of the trip, not a straight concert DVD. We have most of that with BITUS. I think it's fine for what it is. 'Nuff said.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Uncle Albert » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:12 pm

It's a pretty expensive postcard !! :wink:
Uncle Albert

Postby davey boy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Uncle Albert wrote:It's a pretty expensive postcard !! :wink:

ha ha ha yes quite!!! "two of us" was a lovely surprise though!
ONLY LOVE REMAINS. DAVEY BOY!
davey boy

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:02 pm

Uncle Albert wrote:It's a pretty expensive postcard !! :wink:
LOL..true enough. Point is, the special was to be as much about the visit as the it was about the concert. :lol:
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:46 pm

Steve-o wrote:I agree that he should do some different songs---more wings and solo. He wants to try and please everyone and it's a difficult road. Do I play to the person who has seen me 5 times, or to the kid who has never seen me live? Perhaps he could solve this by doing 2 different shows (one for each) in each "area" and advertise it that way. "Beatle heavy" and "Solo Heavy".

This would indeed be the solution. I suppose for the Wings and solo tour he would have to opt for smaller venues, but I'm sure the atmosphere would be great, a bit like the "Last Flight" concert in Glasgow.

As for the rest, my favourite video by far is the "Rock Show" boot - among others because it is not continuously interrupted by these documentary snippets. With VHS it was quite easy to fast forward these and return to the music, but with DVDs I find it more difficult, and when watching a concert video I like to feel almost as if I was there. I suppose these documentary bits are meant to make these videos a bit more "arty" - that's fine for watching them once or twice, like on TV, but not for having a concert "binge" (which is at least most important to me).
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:53 pm

Yeah, I'm finding it a bit annoying seeing all these long-range zoom shots, crowd-point-of-view shots and too much crowd in the audio mix - with the songs being interrupted either with 'documentary' material or just cut short.

If I want to see a live dvd, I want to be able to sit down, relax and absorb the full concert, uninterruped, song-by-song, with decent camera shots that don't look like they've been hastily shot with someone's Handycam. I wanna see a bit of CLASS. I hope this happens for the next live release. I can't help but feel a little disappointed with Red Square - the perofrmances are good, but the packaging / presentation is, ugh... :(
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:42 pm

Cologne girl wrote:...my favourite video by far is the "Rock Show" boot - among others because it is not continuously interrupted by these documentary snippets.
WAD, CG & kyles, here it would seem that the bootleggers are the ones giving us a better hardcore product, lol...
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Next

Return to MACCA-Videos