One Hand Clapping

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

One Hand Clapping

Postby Steve-o » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:03 pm

I just got this on DVD. Very cool period piece for Fall 1974. It was a UK special aired in 1975, recorded at Abbey Road, 53 minutes long. It featured the Wings lineup of Jimmy Mac, Denny, & Geoff Britton. Here is a listing of what's on it. (The picture quality is C- at best, but it plays well on the DVD format--no jumping and skipping. The tape it cam from was the problem)

This whole video was basically a rehearsal for a possible tour, obviously:

Jet---awesome vocals!!!
Soily--Blows the WOA version away---unreal vocals.
CMoon-
Little Woman Love
Denny laine on his career with video of Jimmay Mac playing drums (not bad)
Maybe Im Amazed (drums need work!!!)
Geoff Britton on playing (there's alot of him screwing up on here--I can see why it didnt work out)
My Love
Bluebird (complete with macca feeding chords to the Howie casey before the song starts). Electric version--nice.

SOLO PAUL:He starts with a talk about cabaret music and how he thought he'd end up like Tony Bennett and how rock lured him away from his love for this music)
Suicide: First time I have heard it--nice. A SMALL section of this song appears on MCcartney, right after Hot As Sun/Glasses and just before Junk. I've always wondered what that was...
Let's Love (peggy lee song he wrote for her)
Loving All of you (not sure of the title--never heard this before--pretty nice)
I'll Give you a Ring (to show up 8 years later during the TOW sesions)
Band on the Run : complete with acoustic interlude ala the original and brian ray on the tour.
Live and Let Die--with full AR orchestra--nice without all the explosions, to be honest
1985--I've seen PART of this before, probably on wingspan, but it's great.
Baby Face Over the closing credits...interesting that he sings a bit of this just before Hey Jude on a Raliegh soundboard I have.

Overall, this is GREAT to have!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

One Hand Clapping

Postby Steve-o » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:03 pm

I just got this on DVD. Very cool period piece for Fall 1974. It was a UK special aired in 1975, recorded at Abbey Road, 53 minutes long. It featured the Wings lineup of Jimmy Mac, Denny, & Geoff Britton. Here is a listing of what's on it. (The picture quality is C- at best, but it plays well on the DVD format--no jumping and skipping. The tape it cam from was the problem)

This whole video was basically a rehearsal for a possible tour, obviously:

Jet---awesome vocals!!!
Soily--Blows the WOA version away---unreal vocals.
CMoon-
Little Woman Love
Denny laine on his career with video of Jimmay Mac playing drums (not bad)
Maybe Im Amazed (drums need work!!!)
Geoff Britton on playing (there's alot of him screwing up on here--I can see why it didnt work out)
My Love
Bluebird (complete with macca feeding chords to the Howie casey before the song starts). Electric version--nice.

SOLO PAUL:He starts with a talk about cabaret music and how he thought he'd end up like Tony Bennett and how rock lured him away from his love for this music)
Suicide: First time I have heard it--nice. A SMALL section of this song appears on MCcartney, right after Hot As Sun/Glasses and just before Junk. I've always wondered what that was...
Let's Love (peggy lee song he wrote for her)
Loving All of you (not sure of the title--never heard this before--pretty nice)
I'll Give you a Ring (to show up 8 years later during the TOW sesions)
Band on the Run : complete with acoustic interlude ala the original and brian ray on the tour.
Live and Let Die--with full AR orchestra--nice without all the explosions, to be honest
1985--I've seen PART of this before, probably on wingspan, but it's great.
Baby Face Over the closing credits...interesting that he sings a bit of this just before Hey Jude on a Raliegh soundboard I have.

Overall, this is GREAT to have!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:05 pm

No Juniors Farm on my copy, by the way. It was mentioned somewhere that it was on here---I'm sure the orig had it. From seeing that JF clip from Wingspan and this video, it's clear that WS version was not done at the same time as this. This video is actually in the studio. the JF clip doesnt show all the studio stuff in the background.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:50 pm

The part of 1985 that was familair WAS on Wingspan. It's the end of the song where he's just singing live to the original backing. Very cool.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Nana » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:31 pm

Where did you get your DVD from ??
Nana

Postby Steve-o » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:27 pm

Ebay
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:40 pm

I just got this off ebaY steve-O. Mine is VHS. Yeah, the visual quality is definitely C-, like trying to view it with an awful nearsightedness condition! I complained to my seller, and he responded that it's the best that one is going to find anywhere, and your statement bears that out. The sound is quite good though!

I pretty much agree with you on your overall assessment, but I'll have to listen to Britton on drums again, I thought he was pretty good, very aggressive. There is that one scene where Linda complains about the drums coming in late, but it sounded to me like she was just picking on him. Wouldn't that be a crapper, to land a gig playing with Paul, only to find that his wife thinks you're a creep? Britton's later comment on his being ousted indicated that it was because he wasn't into getting loaded, so he was like a party pooper. Who knows? That sounds like sour grapes too.

Jimmy was was shreddin' pretty good, I was a lot more impressed with him on this than I was with him on the records.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:49 pm

quote:Originally posted by theDingle
Jimmy was was shreddin'..Every now and then I stut-stutter, lol!
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:01 pm

Also, my videotape does have Junior's Farm, plus an interview in b/w that seems to have been done by some NBC reporter. Paul acts slightly strange in this one, a little too detached, a little too distant, a litte too mellow, like he'd been tokin' a little too much beforehand!
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:02 pm

..or maybe he was just pooped out. [?]
theDingle

Next

Return to MACCA-Videos